connection issues

• 27 February 2024
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Recently purchased a sonos 5 gen 2 second hand.

I've tried connecting to my WiFi but the Sonos 5 is not found. I've tried connecting by Etherley not found. I've reset by unplugging and holding the connect button while plugging in after a few seconds the light flashes white and orange then changes to white and green. Still no connection.

20 replies

It sounds like it’s been placed in diagnostic mode. Anyhow, have you yet tried a factory reset prior to setup? If not, then perhaps see this Support link… 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-your-sonos-product

See if that resolves your issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the reply I've tried resetting . Have the White and Orange light but no joy. If its been put put in diagnostics mode can I exit that mode ?

Thanks

I suspect hardware failure. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

😭

Is it worth trying to get repaired 

I would first call Sonos Support, just to see if they may know some steps that you can perhaps try to get it working. Here is the link to contact them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Or contact the seller and see what they have to say. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks

I'll give it a try. Bought the unit secondhand. Didn't bother to test.I very had a few Sonos products. This is the first one I've ever had a problem with.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Or contact the seller and see what they have to say. 

Bought it off Facebook Market place. I've lost the original posting. But I can find the address again. Been laid up these last couple of weeks,unable to drive. Soon as I'm fit I'll be taking it back ti the person. Ask if he new it wasn't working.will be looking for a full refund if he did.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good News

I've managed to get it up and working 💪 

I suspect it was the Power Cord. It never felt like it was pushed in far enough.Tried it this morning and I'm up and running.

Thanks for all the replies.

My faith in Sonos has been restored.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Spoke to soon 🤔

I was connected via Ethernet. That was working fine Then I disconnected the Cable and tried to use WiFi. Complete disaster

It was telling me to push a button. Shows a picture of a Whitr circle with a Blue button.

I assumed that was the button on the back with the squiggle. I push that nothing happens. I've tried pushing the Play/Pause button that eventually turns to pulsing Amber but I'm supposed to hear a Chime nothing. Is their a Hidden button I haven't found ?

Spoke to soon 🤔

I was connected via Ethernet. That was working fine Then I disconnected the Cable and tried to use WiFi. Complete disaster

It was telling me to push a button. Shows a picture of a Whitr circle with a Blue button.

I assumed that was the button on the back with the squiggle. I push that nothing happens. I've tried pushing the Play/Pause button that eventually turns to pulsing Amber but I'm supposed to hear a Chime nothing. Is their a Hidden button I haven't found ?

Did you add the WiFi credentials to the speaker before disconnecting it? If not, see this link to switch between wired and wireless modes (or vice versa):

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks

I'll give that a go.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Not had a chance to try until today.

went through the procedure to join the Wi Fi network. Same old story can’t find the unit when it does it has problems. I’ve resorted to using Ethernet which is probably better all round.

last question. I have WD Home Server,

I’ve enabled Show Media Servers and UPnP Servers in the Sonos settings.

They don’t show up in the Browse

Tried with an Android Phone and Apple iPad.

is their a Work around thanks.

Also all the Music on the server is in Flac format

Thanks for any advice 

Not had a chance to try until today.

went through the procedure to join the Wi Fi network. Same old story can’t find the unit when it does it has problems. I’ve resorted to using Ethernet which is probably better all round.

last question. I have WD Home Server,

I’ve enabled Show Media Servers and UPnP Servers in the Sonos settings.

They don’t show up in the Browse

Tried with an Android Phone and Apple iPad.

is their a Work around thanks.

Also all the Music on the server is in Flac format

Thanks for any advice 

Maybe try adding your music share as a Sonos library service. See this link…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-a-nas-drive-with-sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks

Managed to add a new folder in Music Server pointed to MYCloud home.

Strange thing when I try to play a song I get a message saying the Flac file isn't supported, couple of seconds later the song starts playing ?

This link below shows the audio file formats that are currently supported for a Sonos local library share…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-audio-formats-for-sonos-music-library

Userlevel 1
Badge

Many Thanks.

I'm now Sorted.

The .flac codec format on a Sonos S2 local library system can be up to 48kHz/24-bit (sample rate/bit depth). So maybe check that the audio files are within that limitation.

Many Thanks.

I'm now Sorted.

Ah our post crossed - good to hear you’ve now sorted it.👍

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Again

Great Forum. Very helpful people on here.