Connecting Sonos to Ethernet Network causes Speed Drops

• 11 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Is there a network parameter that should be specified to keep Sonos Connects from causing network speed loss on my network? 

Whenever I connect a  Sonos Connect or Connect:Amp to my ethernet switch anything else connected to that switch sees a drop in network speed. Using Speedtest it drops from 300+MBS to < 10MBS. 

I have a Verizon router to a Unifi USW24POE, switch to a Unifi Flex Mini switch to Sonos, A laptop connected to the same Flex Mini will see speed drops as mentioned above. 

I see the same results using a Linksys switch at the end as well. Connecting the laptop to the second port on the Sonos equipment produces the same results.  

I conduct the same test with a ZP80 and I do not see the same results. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

SONOS network ports run at 10/100. I once came across a situation similar to yours. In my case the network connection feeding the switch had been damaged by construction. A SONOS unit connected to the switch figured out that the switch had no network connection and back fed the switch using its SonosNet wireless connection. The SONOS unit had a weak wireless connection and the resulting “network” performance, measured at the switch, was much slower than expected.

The low speed that you are measuring suggests that you are connecting to the network through a SonosNet wireless unit.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Based on your description, it sounds like you are creating an Ethernet “Broadcast Storm”. How many SONOS components do you have wired to your network?

I am assuming that the Version Router and Unifi Switches are all connected via a wired connection. Is this correct?

I would do a speed test at the Router, Unifi USW24POE Switch and then the Unifi Flex Mini Switch without the SONOS connected. After this test is complete add the SONOS to the network and repeat the test and then include the SONOS port.

A Broadcast Storm starts after a second (or more) SONOS unit is wired to a Ubiquiti network switch. All of the Ubiquiti switches should be configured to support “STP”, not “RSTP”. STP support is disabled by default on Ubiquiti switches.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The Unifi Flex Mini has a note about limited STP support on their website. SONOS supports the older STP standards and requires setting adjustments to work correctly with most switches that are sold today. 

I think I have the same problem, and it’s only really occurred in the last couple of weeks (month max).  

I have all my Sonos devices wired by ethernet and have always done so with no issues.  

I noticed my Mac’s ethernet was running at 5Mb or less - I have stoopid fast internet (I can got 800mbs on a good day!).  When I run Network Quality in Terminal with my Sonos amp connected, I get 6Mbps.  When I disconnect my Sonos Amp, I’m getting 750+Mbps.

Is there some reason for this suddenly being a thing?  Has Sonos support got any views?  

I’m also not able to instal the update that Sonos (the new version of the desktop app) wants to instal.  

Is there an email address for Sonos support in Australia (they used to have guys based out of Melbourne who could MacGyver the bejesus out of any technical issues I had - hope they’re still there!!

Unfortunately Sonos doesn’t support RSTP which I find rather odd. 
The only workaround is to disable RSTP, and enable STP on my network otherwise anything connected to the switch grinds to a halt.

I just ran a speed test on my phone. I’m not in the best possible location with respect to interference, but I’m getting 450Mbps. The access point is attached to a managed network switch that also handles multiple SONOS wired units and SonosNet wireless units. This is a mesh WiFi network, also operating through the switch. The WiFi mesh handles a few SONOS WiFi only units.

BTW: This is a nominal 500Mbps Internet connection.