Skip to main content
Answered

complaints

Roam will not charge. Support is useless.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Can you tell us what steps you’ve taken to get it to charge, so we can advise you on next steps?

All steps recommended yesterday by Sonos CS. Finally tried factory reset. Still just an orange charging light on, only when Usb to laptop. No led light at any other time.

What charger are you using?

I am using the usb cable to laptop as neither of my two wireless chargers work with this roam. My other roam is fine with them all.

What about the original charger which came with the Roam? Is that one of the chargers you mention which doesn’t work?

If the orange charging light is on, it should be charging. If the power source ,eg laptop, isn’t providing enough power, it may never fully charge.

Quote from Sonos:

“Some USB power adapters don't have enough power to charge Roam. Using an underpowered adapter can result in a very slow charging speed or even battery drain when Roam is plugged in. To allow your Roam to charge properly, make sure that it's connected to a USB power adapter that's giving it enough power.”

(Their bold lettering)

The power source for a Roam needs to be PD certified and ‘ideally’ have a minimum power output of 5v x 2A (10w), up-to 5v x 3A (15w). I tend to use the latter, which takes about 2hrs 30mins to fully charge a Roam from empty.

To reset its battery management, you can (whilst off its charger - important), hold its rear power button for approx. 20+ seconds, then place the Roam on its charger for an hour. If no luck initially, then repeat the process, but if the charger is insufficient to get it going, then be sure to try one with a certified power output, as mentioned above.

Thanks, but the orange light only comes on when I connect to laptop. Nothing comes alight when I place it on either of my charger bases, which work fine with the other roam i have. ????

Thanks, but the orange light only comes on when I connect to laptop. Nothing comes alight when I place it on either of my charger bases, which work fine with the other roam i have. ????

It won’t whilst the battery is empty - maybe try the battery management reset process (off the charger) outlined in my post, charging it for one hour in between the reset(s).

Thanks for all your interest and suggestions. Nothing worked. They are replacing it under warranty.

Ah well - we tried!👍

Thanks to you both, Ken and Richard, for taking an interest.