Answered

Clarification on mesh network configurations

• 18 November 2023
  • 4 replies

one by one my Sonos Play 1 speakers have been dropping off my network and then simply refusing to reconnect.  They are all older models but have always worked flawlessly.   It dawned on me that the problems started when I switched from one mesh network (Plum Pod) to a newer (faster) TP Link Deco system.   in reading through the materials here, I’m a bit confused about a couple of things;

1. Is it possible to get my Sonos speakers all working together on this mesh system?  some things I’m reading make it sound like I need to disable the mesh capabilities, which is not an option as I need it for coverage around my house.
  2. Would sacrificing one of the speakers as a hard-wired unit (to create a separate Sonos network fix the problem?  I’ve read that this won’t work if there are multiple wireless routers in a mesh network (which is my configuration)
  3. would adding a Boost solve the issue?
  4. What other options are there?  My Play 5 is still working (though it frequently drops and reconnects while playing, which is annoying AF).
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 18 November 2023, 23:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d first use your new router to set static/reserved IP addresses for all Sonos, followed by powering them down, rebooting all mesh units and powering the Sonos back up. That will fix any IP address related issues so you can look at other things.

A Boost is rarely a solution but you could move one speaker to where you’d put one if you bought it and wire it to Ethernet to see if that helps. If it doesn’t a Boost is not your answer.

Then the standard WiFi troubleshooting steps like trying all three clear channels (1, 6, 11) to see if any one is better. There is a Sonos FAQ with more details.

If that doesn’t solve things wait for the issue, send in a diagnostic and contact Sonos with the number you were given and have them look at the internal data we users can’t see.

BOOST is useful when you want to create SonosNet and there is no convenient location(s) to wire one or more player(s). BOOST is simply a player with the audio removed in order to reduce costs. Since the latest players, MOVE, ROAM, and the ERA’s are WiFi only, BOOST’s utility is fading. Plus, more modern WiFi is more capable than BOOST.

I have no specific experience with TP-Link’s mesh. I assume that you have rebooted all of the SONOS units if you replaced the router.

I’d first use your new router to set static/reserved IP addresses for all Sonos, followed by powering them down, rebooting all mesh units and powering the Sonos back up. That will fix any IP address related issues so you can look at other things.

Thank you.   once I have reserved static IPs on the router, how does one program the older Sonos Play:1 and Play:5 units to use those IP addresses?

A Boost is rarely a solution but you could move one speaker to where you’d put one if you bought it and wire it to Ethernet to see if that helps. If it doesn’t a Boost is not your answer.

Great idea; I'll give that a try.

Then the standard WiFi troubleshooting steps like trying all three clear channels (1, 6, 11) to see if any one is better. There is a Sonos FAQ with more details.

If that doesn’t solve things wait for the issue, send in a diagnostic and contact Sonos with the number you were given and have them look at the internal data we users can’t see.

Since these are older units, Sonos tells me “those are no longer supported, you need to buy new ones’.  I hate throwing stuff in a landfill (and wasting money) if I can get stuff to work!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thank you.   once I have reserved static IPs on the router, how does one program the older Sonos Play:1 and Play:5 units to use those IP addresses?

Sonos devices use a DHCP client to ask the router’s DHCP server to issue them an IP version 4 address so that happens automatically when you power them on and again at intervals set by the router’s DHCP server.

No longer supported isn’t exactly right. More like will no longer be provided new features, as Sonos is still maintaining the software for them and issuing updates as needed, just not new features.