Skip to main content
Question

Change if broadband. Unable to connect sonos

• 10 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Why do they make this seemingly impossible?! Every time I change broadband provider I have to reset every Sonos product I’ve got, losing everything!!!

Is there any better way of doing this. I have a One, 2 x One SL and Beam. When I open up the Sonos app I get a screen that says welcome. Add a speaker or join existing system. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Have you seen/followed the guide?

https://support.sonos.com/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes. There is no option to “update network”. It just says your system was not found on “new network name”. Set up a new system!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

It’s truly rubbish that this isn’t a simple thing. I’ve now get the system working but on my old WiFi network. I therefore need to change it so it’s on my new network but there is no way of doing this!!!

I change ISP providers and/or routers at any time I like. The simplest way to do so is to keep the same SSID and Password.

• Prior to turning off your current router and/or completely changing the router/modem (if provided new ones by the ISP) unplug all your Sonos.
  • Once the new ISP is connected keep the same SSID and password.
  • If using equipment (router/modem) provided by the new ISP have them set the router to use the same SSID and Password as was used before the change.
  • Make sure your device with the Sonos app is connected to your network (It should be if you have used the same SSID and password)
  • Plug in your Sonos and they should connect with no issue. 

What you must understand is that the Sonos gear is only looking for a WiFi signal with the same SSID and Password. Sonos gear doesn’t care what router is sending the WiFi nor who is the ISP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I change ISP providers and/or routers at any time I like. The simplest way to do so is to keep the same SSID and Password.

• Prior to turning off your current router and/or completely changing the router/modem (if provided new ones by the ISP) unplug all your Sonos.
  • Once the new ISP is connected keep the same SSID and password.
  • If using equipment (router/modem) provided by the new ISP have them set the router to use the same SSID and Password as was used before the change.
  • Make sure your device with the Sonos app is connected to your network (It should be if you have used the same SSID and password)
  • Plug in your Sonos and they should connect with no issue. 

What you must understand is that the Sonos gear is only looking for a WiFi signal with the same SSID and Password. Sonos gear doesn’t care what router is sending the WiFi nor who is the ISP.

Even easier than using the same SSID/password is to bring your router with you when you move! That way absolutely nothing has to be set up in your new location, and no devices need any changes.