Answered

Cannot Suddenly Connect to Sonos Beam Gen 1 Anymore

• 1 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I have Sonos Beam Gen 1 in my household connected via wifi. The product has worked fine for a long time but suddenly I lost the ability to connect to it without any clear reason. There were no changes in the network, the connection just stopped working. I can reconnect to the Beam with bluetooth and reset the wifi password but after setting everything up, the Sonos application fails to connect to Beam device. This happend on both Sonos (iPhone v 14.20) and Sonos S1 applications.

I have tried following things without success:

• Try to discover Sonos devices in the network (Sonos apps)
  • Try to fix Sonos connection (Sonos apps)
  • Reconfigure Sonos connection to the wifi (bluetooth)
  • Try different iPhone to connect to Sonos
  • Try to change wifi password
  • Try to connect Sonos with LAN cable
  • Reset Sonos Beam
  • Try everything above again
  • Remove Sonos application and try everything again after reinstallation

Following things have been checked:

• Sonos and iPhone are wifi connected and in the same network
  • Both devices have an IP address

The odd thing about this is that Sonos is able to connect to wifi (initially I thought that connecting to wifi was the issue). I’ve verified this from the wifi device (sonos is connected) and dhcp (sonos received an IP address). I’m starting to think that the issue is with the application trying to connect to Sonos, not Sonos having difficulties connecting to my network.

Do you have any more troubleshooting steps that I could try? Rather frustrating that the device just suddenly does this without any changes from my side.

icon

Best answer by SMorso 10 January 2023, 16:32

View original

7 replies

Have you tried ‘resetting’ the S2 Sonos App (Settings/App Preferences) and then on reopening the App connecting it back to the ‘existing’ Sonos System (do not create a new system) - perhaps try this with the Beam wired to the LAN and see if the App finds your existing setup.

Hi,

I’ve reset the Sonos App to factory defaults. This does not really help my case for following reasons:

1. If i try to connect to existing devices after the reset, the application cannot connect to Sonos (same connection issue persist)
  2. If I try to install a new device I need to log in again with my credentials and now I’m back where I started (cannot find Sonos device on the network and on top of that, it remembers my settings - which I originally wanted to reset)

The LAN cable connection doesn’t really do anything and since I’m on a segmented network, it becomes complicated (devices can send packages to each other but they are not on the same network so possible broadcast messages would not work).

I tested my settings again and this time while Sonos has the same error messages and fails at the same setup point, it’s not getting an IP address for it. This is just baffling (getting different results with exact same tests)

Hi,

I’ve reset the Sonos App to factory defaults. This does not really help my case for following reasons:

1. If i try to connect to existing devices after the reset, the application cannot connect to Sonos (same connection issue persist)
  2. If I try to install a new device I need to log in again with my credentials and now I’m back where I started (cannot find Sonos device on the network and on top of that, it remembers my settings - which I originally wanted to reset)

The LAN cable connection doesn’t really do anything and since I’m on a segmented network, it becomes complicated (devices can send packages to each other but they are not on the same network so possible broadcast messages would not work).

I tested my settings again and this time while Sonos has the same error messages and fails at the same setup point, it’s not getting an IP address for it. This is just baffling (getting different results with exact same tests)

So are the speakers and your mobile controller on the same subnet? Does the mobile controller device meet the requirements stated in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Are you using any managed switches on the network? Is there more than one wireless access point..?

What is the Sonos device status LED showing? Is it your one and only Sonos device?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SMorso 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you’re still having this problem with your Beam, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Thank you for all the responses.

After multile debugging sessions and even switching the wifi router, I finally found the issue. It turns out that a firmware upgrade on Ubiquity UAP-nanoHD (that white disk on the wall that you see a lot) turned on Client Device Isolation feature automatically. This feature was a bit hard to debug because it gave inconsistent results (and didn’t really isolate devices at all, just broke Sonos). In the future it is good to remember that enterprise grade access points might have this annoying feature enabled without end user knowing about it.

Thank you. Please close the request as solved :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SMorso 

Thanks for updating us here on the thread - I’m glad to hear you found an answer!

Ubiquity updates can be a challenge. One feature that I’ve seen that is very handy with respect to SONOS is that you can restrict a client to using a particular AP, then fix that AP’s channel.