Skip to main content

cannot add symfonisk as first system

• 24 June 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi, 

my father in law bought an IKEA Symfonisk gen2. After the installation in the S2 app the sonos app does not show the system. I’ve tried both wireless as well as wired and also rebooted the network router without success.

After that I took the device to my home and added the device to my existing sonos system. Then the device appears in the app. So the device seems to be ok. 

After that I did a reset of the device and let my father in law install the device as a new device within his account (but with the device within my local network). After the installation the same issue is present, I.e. the device does not appear in the sonos S2 app. 

This appears to me that the issue appears when the symfonisk is added as a first device. does anyone have an idea what can be done to fix the issue? Or is it a bug in the S2 app? 

6 replies

Sounds like, based on your testing, a bug in the app itself….although I suppose there is always the possibility of a difference in your father”s network (unsupported signal type, maybe?).

Since you’re not going to be able to submit a diagnostic from your father’s home, I’d suggest that you or he call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, from his home (they’ll want answers about his router and other things, I suspect.

As a random thought, if you have more than one speaker (non-IKEA based), what happens if you factory reset it, and try set up at your father’s house? That might at least rule in or out whether it’s an issue with the IKEA based speaker. I wouldn’t want to try that if you don’t have more than one speaker, though, the act of a factory reset erases a bunch of data. If you have more than one speaker, that data is stored on the other speakers in your system, but if it’s your only one, you’d lose all your ‘things’. 

Thanks for the reply. I did it another way around. I added the ikea speaker to my sonos system to indeed rule out it is the speaker itself. When added as a new speaker to my sonos system all  is working fine with the ikea speaker. 

The i tested whether it is a network/ router issue and had my father in law the ikea device (after factory resetting it) on my network to his sonos account (which does not include any other speakers), and the same issue appears, namely the ikea speaker cannot be found.. 

iwas also thinking of taking one speaker from my system and install it at my father in law and after that add the ikea speaker. But was not sure what would happen if I would remove the Sonos speaker. Will give it a try unless someone else has another idea how to solve this issue 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

When the Sonos app first updated last month, and I ran the firmware update, one of my Symfonisk lamp (one of two surrounds) couldn’t be found. So I turned it off at the plug, then turned it on, and with a few mins of just leaving it, it reconnected for some reason.

So the Symfonisk speakers do odd things…

Does your father in law’s wifi have 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi split out separately? Splitting frequencies might help.

Alternatively, or as well as this, he could try turning off the router and the lamp at the wall, and turn the phone off. Then turn the router back on and let it reboot fully, then turn the phone back on and let it boot up fully (and connect to wifi), and then turn the Symfonisk back on and try connecting it again in the Sonos app… 

Agree that your first test (trying to add it at home) is a good one. Smart, IMHO. 

Good information on that second test, and interesting result, which certainly points to an issue in the controller app. I’m assuming you’ve applied today’s release, which purports to fix some issues around ‘newly set up systems’, which is vague enough for amateurs like me to have no idea what it means.

But if you have, and you’re still having issues, I’ll restate that you should call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

An update, without doing anything differently, but after reinstalling the device at his own home, the symfonisk does now magically appear in the app of my after in law.. 

thanks for the advices. 

Odd. I actually hate that when it happens that way, as I have no logical understanding of why it happened. I much prefer to understand my failings, so that I can rectify them in the future. ;)

In any case, I’m pleased it is working for your father-in-law.