Skip to main content
Answered

Can we silence the annoying flashing lights during updates in the middle of the night

• 6 December 2022
  • 8 replies

I own multiple Sonos products. I have three in my  master bedroom. The updates are almost always pushed at 2am and I wake up to practically a disco in my room with flashing colored lights coming from multiple directions. PLEASE provide an option for users to permanently dim or turn off the Sonos flashing status light. I’m tempted to remove these devices from my room!

8 replies

A simpler solution would be to turn off automatic updates so that you can put them through when you choose.  I cannot remember if turning off the status light in the device settings would prevent the flashing on updare, but I am sure somebody on here will be able to confirm.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You’re brave having auto updates turned on after the 14.12 screw up from Sonos that left so many angry and their stock dipping.. many have learned to turn off auto updates not knowing what the results will be. 

You’re brave having auto updates turned on after the 14.12 screw up from Sonos that left so many angry and their stock dipping.. many have learned to turn off auto updates not knowing what the results will be. 

OP said nothing about the Arc issue, pretty poor assumption to think he/she was impacted.  It’s also poor to assume that that issue was the reason for the stock dip, since Sonos reported that Ray sales didn’t meet the forecast and the entire market is down.

+1 @melvimbe 

-10 @Dogdad  for obsessive, irrelevant contribution. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

OP said nothing about the Arc issue, pretty poor assumption to think he/she was impacted.  It’s also poor to assume that that issue was the reason for the stock dip, since Sonos reported that Ray sales didn’t meet the forecast and the entire market is down.

I said nothing about the Arc, so don’t know why you even say that. ..I said updates ..like I said, many have turned off the auto update feature. Stock dip..look at the results…came back up when the issue was supposedly fixed. And I don’t think many have or will buy the Ray… 

I said nothing about the Arc, so don’t know why you even say that. ..I said updates ..like I said, many have turned off the auto update feature. Stock dip..look at the results…came back up when the issue was supposedly fixed. And I don’t think many have or will buy the Ray… 

So clarify what you mean by “14.12 screw up”. Where you not referring to the issue people were having with sub output when bonded to the Arc? 

I have no doubt that some folks have turned off auto updates due to this issue, but as a percentage of total Sonos owners, I doubt it’s that significant.  I don’t know though, and neither do you.

The stock is not back up.  It’s down like just about any other tech stock. 

But anyway, I agree with John.  I would either schedule updates for a different time period or chose to do it manually if the lights are bothering you.

And right now, even having the LEDs turned off, as I do, they’ll both light up during updates, as well as when the devices are muted. I’d agree with @John B , turn off the auto update function. I have. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

The only solution is to not automatically process the updates. I have the same issues with my Xfinity boxes when they do an update.