Answered

Can't add Play One to existing system

• 16 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi - my existing system is a Bridge, a Sonos 5 (version 1) and 2 of Play One (gen 2). Running on S1 controller as the 5 isn’t supported under S2.

Cannot get a Play:1 to connect. Tried via WiFi and hard wired direct into Router and back of Bridge - no go.

If I reset controller (on multiple devices - phone and PC) then select “new system” it finds the new component (only when hard wired) - the Play:1 and it works OK BUT the original 3 components are not seen. If I remove the ethernet cable to the Play:1, reset controller, it then finds the original components and all works as usual.

In summary, adding Play:1 only works when hard-wired, and only by itself. It actually stops the original 3 components being recognised. All thoughts welcomed!

icon

Best answer by User457860 16 December 2022, 22:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You should not set up a new system, but ad a speaker. Log in to the app and go to Ad product.

You should not set up a new system, but ad a speaker. Log in to the app and go to Ad product.

@106rallye is completely correct. Your 'system' is the whole of your Sonos setup. When you add a speaker to that system you create a new ⁰room"

Thanks, but I don’t get the option to add a product. When I try to do this it just tells me I need to upgrade my app. I can’t do this because it would stop my Play 5 working. So, with no option to add a component that’s why I’ve tried to set up the whole system from scratch.

All sorted now - my bad. I thought that the “upgrade” would take me to S2 but it was an upgrade to my S1 app. Doing this fixed my problem. After the upgrade I had the option to add a component and this worked fine.

I suspect that the message said that an "update" was available, not an "upgrade".