Skip to main content

So I’m connected to my Sonos Move via bluetooth to my Macbook Pro (16-inch 2021 M1) on macOS Ventura 13.3.1(a). Playing music from either iTunes/Apple Music, VLC, Spotify. I hit pause to watch something on YouTube, but all audio is now muted. I then continue playing music, and by muting the music I can finally watch the YouTube-video. I’ve tested on another bluetooth speaker (Logitech Megaboom 3), and this issue does not occur there. So it seems like this is a bluetooth issue with Sonos.

I’m gonna test if I get the same behaviour on my Windows-computer as well. Anyone else have this problem? I’ve seen this mentioned around the internet, but then related to other bluetooth audio products.

Where are you starting the mute…

Through the App your’re using or via the Mac Keyboard?

Where are you starting the mute…

Through the App your’re using or via the Mac Keyboard?

I’m muting in the music app, not in the OS audio controls. So the music continues to play, but it’s muted from the app, while the OS audio is not muted.

There’s nothing wrong. What you are doing is mixing two audio sources through the same speaker. I experimented  with my Move and was able to Mix-in a Youtube video and pause Apple Music then unpause AppleMusic and stop the YouTube video with no delays and then reverse the process with no delays. There are other combinations to start and stop AppleMusic and a Youtube Video and vise versa that will give the results you mentioned. I can’t remember which one. LOL. You’ll just have to figure out which combination of start, pause, play etc., gives the results you want.

There’s nothing wrong? I’m not sure if I agree on that. For me it’s a problem that my bluetooth speaker can only «handle one task at a time», by playing from one audio source. Most ideal would be that the audio connection had no regard for any app level play/pause/mute and just followed the OS master audio control.

My situation is not quite like yours. I don’t have a Mac. I’m using a pair of SONY BT headphones, an iPad, and PC. With respect to the PC the headphones just work, I have no issues. With the iPad I never know how things will go. A really annoying characteristic is that audio will mute when a website video ends and a new video starts. The iPad will mute both on BT and the iPad’s own speakers. In order to restore audio I must power down the headphones and forget the iOS BT connection with the headphones. In one case I had the iPad sending music to a 3rd device that, according to the iPad’s settings, was not connected via BT.

Not all BT devices can simultaneously connect to multiple devices. My headphones are rated for two connections and this works fine until the iPad decides to mute.

Any fixes here?  Im having the same problem!  The Move will not play zoom on bluetooth.  It only plays if I play youtube at the same time.  If I pause youtube, I can get audio from zoom.  They are linked some how.  Ive tested every combo, closed youtube, changed zoom settings a million times… its ridiculous!