Question

bridge issue

• 8 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Recently bridge stopped working while i was replacing modem.  I have a play 5 speaker.   I replaced with new bridge, and now the S1 app says bridge needs updating.  I spoke with a sonos rep. Ia chat and they told me to remove the old bridge from the app and then add new.  S1 controller didn't give me the option to remove. Suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I suggest you stop using a Bridge as they are old tech and increasingly unreliable.  

If you only have one speaker then connect that to your router by Ethernet. Make sure that your system works like this. 

Then go to Settings, System, Network,  then tap 'Wireless Setup' and follow the prompts to connect to your WiFi and remove the cable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Also there are no “new” bridges - hasn’t been made for a long time and existing units have power supplies prone to failure as they age. Either use WiFi as John posted above, or get a Boost if you have a low quality router or a large house.

Thank you for suggestion however speaker and router are in different areas. Is their another way?

@Jf1214, There is a successor to the Bridge called Boost.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/boost.html

Setting up a boost should get the system back online?

Setting up a boost should get the system back online?

Yes. The Boost is an improved 2nd generation Bridge. Keep the old Bridge hooked up to the router until the Boost has been added to the system (by “Add a Product”), then swap the Bridge for the Boost, subsequently disconnect the old Bridge entirely (pull the plug).

If you do what I said, which involves TEMPORARILY connecting your speaker by Ethernet,  you won't need a Boost or a Bridge. Sonos can connect using your WiFi. 

Please read what I wrote. 

You should at least try this before you buy a Boost.