Skip to main content

Blown fuse in Play 1.

• 2 November 2023
  • 7 replies

The fuse in my Play 1 blows everytime I switch on. Any idea about cause?

I had no idea there was a fuse in a PLAY:1, much less how to access it and reset it. I suspect the next time this event occurs, you should reset it, then submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Are you replacing an internal fuse in the Play 1?

If so you probably need to find the other component(s) that are drawing too much power and replace them too. Start with the power supply section.

Yes, I’ve replaced the internal fuse F301, 2A/250V, but immediately after switching on it blew again. I can’t see any burned parts. Any idea which part(s) may cause the problem? Thank you.

No clue myself but there have been repair posts here as well as other places you might find with a good web search.

Burned usually only happens when the fuse blows too slow. Watched a fellow deal with that issue back when I was in the Army, he replaced the fuse with a #2 Phillips screwdriver. >DO NOT do that] He found the bad component and got the fire out rather quickly too. Ah, happy days or should that be young and foolish?

I think there’s no alternative. Other suggestions are welcome.

Occasionally a fuse is poorly specified by the designer and after a while it may blow due to fatigue, not because of another failure. Based on comments in the Community, I don’t think this is the case for PLAY:1. For units that incorporate correctly specified fuses, my recommendation is that the damaged components be replaced before the unit is next powered up. Repeated trials that blow the fuse will usually increase the damage.

I don’t know your troubleshooting capability. Power handling components in series with the fuse are the likely cause. A very detailed physical inspection saves many hours of troubleshooting. Inspect large capacitors for physical deformations -- these are a hint.

An ohmmeter is indispensable.

If a unit will not powerup, diagnostics offer limited value.

Sonos doesn’t really support self repair, but there does seem to be a community posting in another thread. You might get some more useful responses if you were to post there: