Badge

Video Explanation here:

https://www.loom.com/share/0766f07c569e490c9e0a4a0ba4520840

Have access to:

x2 Sub gen 3

X6 SL Ones

X3 Fives
x1 Arc

1. Should I have the subs connected and on the same wall? Or should I keep the sub 2 connected the Five in the medium room?
  2. Also, the sub connected to the arc in the large room isn’t really shaking or rattling the room at all. I honestly was expecting a very large boom for the price. Am I doing something wrong with the sub connected to the arc?

3. Is this the best set up for loud music that could shake the room if needed?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 18 May 2023, 10:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 7

Meeting with the install guy tomorrow, will provide your exact feedback for implementation. 

So the Sub in the small room should go into a corner, Does it matter which one?

It doesn’t matter which sub as they are all the same in size. The only difference might be Gen 1, 2 or 3 which really won’t make a difference in your scenario. All subs should be bonded to a Five. All subs should be placed in a corner for maximum affect in a triangle position whenever possible. That gives you the benefit of two walls and the floor. If you decide to lock them up at night you need to mark each sub so that you return it to the same Five it was originally bonded to. 

Badge

Awesome, I’ll make sure each sub is in a corner. 

For the small room that only has 1 sub do you recommend a specific corner? or should I do the post it test? 

Userlevel 7

Awesome, I’ll make sure each sub is in a corner. 

For the small room that only has 1 sub do you recommend a specific corner? or should I do the post it test? 

Do the “post-it test as suggested by @buzz .

Hint: You can mark each sub and Five with the same color “sticky dot” available at office supply stores. That way all you have to do is match the dots when returning the subs to their correct placement spot everyday. 

Badge

Is it a problem if the sub in the small room is a good distance from the five that it is paired with?

waiting on the last 2 Ones and for the mounting. Then toning will be an adventure! 

Not much because you will be playing the same music. Balancing the levels might not be very intuitive.

Userlevel 7

Bass is non-directional. When the unit is properly positioned you should not be able to discern where the sub is located; unless you are standing in very close proximity. However the sub does need to be in the same room. 

Userlevel 7

@onac5656 

I gather that the space you are setting up with Sonos may have a very high ceiling and the adjoining rooms are open to each other.

Regarding the use of TruePlay to tune the speakers. You may not have good results as TruePlay relies on walls to bounce back the signal to the mics. In an open or very large space TruePlay may fail. That’s to be expected…so no worries. I suggest starting with the Fives and subs.

If TruePlay fails in one I see no need to proceed to other speakers. The best tuning you get may just be your ears especially when placing the subs.

So I’d concentrate on the Five and a sub combo’s first. If they sound good to you either by Trueplay or by ear I ‘d forgo the Ones; unless you feel energetic 😂

With regard to Trueplay, it was not designed do deal with this sort of layout. Trueplay assumes a Livingroom sort of environment laid out as a single SONOS “Room”. Physics is still physics, of course, but this case is too complicated for Trueplay. That said, Trueplay might be productive and is worth an experiment. Don’t be afraid to adjust things to your taste.

Userlevel 7

@onac5656 

Any news regarding your project?

Userlevel 7

Just checking. How did your project turn out?