Answered

Beam (Gen 2), LG C2, Apple TV 4K - song beginnings cut

When playing a song from Apple Music on my Apple TV 4K through my LG C2 to my Sonos Beam (Gen 2), the first 2-3 seconds of the song are missing. This doesn’t happen when the first song ends and it moves to the next song on an album. It’s just the first track initiated.

Anyone else experienced this?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 August 2023, 18:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Because you’re using the ATV you’re having to rely on the Beam detecting the TV’s signal when it starts, and autoplaying the TV source. There is likely to be a small delay.

Play Apple Music directly through the Beam using the Sonos app instead. You should also get good results using Airplay and the Apple Music app on an iDevice. 

It’s not just a small delay. The beginning of the song is clipped. 
What you described seems unnecessarily complicated. I can’t play through my Apple TV, but I have to go through my Sonos app or Bluetooth? If I have my tv on, and audio is pass through, then I don’t understand why playing my AppleTV would result in any more of a delay than any other media or channel played through the tv.

If your TV is already on, with Sonos already streaming the “TV” source (you can check in the Sonos app) then there shouldn’t be an interruption when the ATV starts unless it’s been introduced by the TV itself or even the ATV. 

If anything playing through the Sonos app is rather simpler, as it’s direct rather than ATV → TV → Sonos.

I didn’t mention Bluetooth; Airplay is a network protocol.

If your TV is already on, with Sonos already streaming the “TV” source (you can check in the Sonos app) then there shouldn’t be an interruption when the ATV starts unless it’s been introduced by the TV itself or even the ATV. 

and yet there’s a delay.

If anything playing through the Sonos app is rather simpler, as it’s direct rather than ATV → TV → Sonos.

not if I’m sitting with my Apple TV remote in hand with the Apple TV on the screen.

I didn’t mention Bluetooth; Airplay is a network protocol.

*applause

and yet there’s a delay.

I’ll leave you to figure out where.

What you described seems unnecessarily complicated. I can’t play through my Apple TV, but I have to go through my Sonos app or Bluetooth? If I have my tv on, and audio is pass through, then I don’t understand why playing my AppleTV would result in any more of a delay than any other media or channel played through the tv.

Do you have the LG TV digital sound out on the HDMI-2 Arc port set to ‘pass-through’, with eARC enabled? If so, maybe first try powering off your devices (TV/ATV & Arc) for a few minutes and see if that resolves the issue. Another thought, is to go onto try the Apple TV multi-channel LPCM audio switched ‘off’ (audio format/change format = On) and then use compressed Dolby audio instead.

Userlevel 7

@Kdiglas78 Make sure the Digital Sound Output setting on the TV is set to Pass Through. If it is, then the cut audio is just something you will have to live with. I experience the same issue, so I just restart the song and it will play in its entirety.

and yet there’s a delay.

I’ll leave you to figure out where.

I’m new here and looking for a solution to an issue. Is it common to receive responses that amount to ‘it couldn’t be the Sonos’?

Do you have the LG TV digital sound out on the HDMI-2 Arc port set to ‘pass-through’, with eARC enabled? If so, maybe first try powering off your devices (TV/ATV & Arc) for a few minutes and see if that resolves the issue. Another thought, is to go onto try the Apple TV multi-channel LPCM audio switched ‘off’ (audio format/change format = On) and then use compressed Dolby audio instead.

The pass through is on. I’ll try the other option.

@Kdiglas78 Make sure the Digital Sound Output setting on the TV is set to Pass Through. If it is, then the cut audio is just something you will have to live with. I experience the same issue, so I just restart the song and it will play in its entirety.

Pass through is on. Restarting the track is what I’ve been doing so far. Not ideal is it?