Answered

Beam 2.4 vs 5G WiFI connectivity

• 3 January 2024
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

It seems all my SONOS equipment can connect to my router on the “5G” network, except for my Beam. It’s still looking for a 2.4G network.  I’ve done some band steering on my router to create the 2.4G network and it seems to be happy; however, I’d like to have everything on the same band if I can (no biggie if I can’t).  My equipment seems to be up-to-date with software - according to the app.  I’m using the T-Mobile 5G Gateway as my Router/WiFi system.  Also, how do I verify if I have a Gen 1 or 2 Beam?

I have the following SONOS equipment:

2x Move1

Arc+2 SL One+Sub

Bean+2x SL One+mini-Sub

2x Ports

Thanks,

Nick.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 January 2024, 23:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The Beam is using its (older tech) 5Ghz antenna to communicate with the surrounds. It doesn’t have the capacity to both receive normal streams and also connect to your surrounds at the same time.

I ‘think’ , but might be corrected, that the system in the Arc is a newer chipset, so that it can do both. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

According to the Sonos website the Arc also has it 5Ghz possibility reserved for surround only: https://support.sonos.com/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

I ‘think’ , but might be corrected, that the system in the Arc is a newer chipset, so that it can do both. 

Not according to this article.

To my knowledge the HT master players contain just the two radios, each dedicated to its individual purpose.