Answered

Balance issue ERA 300 with Line In

• 28 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello, 

I have just received a second Sonos ERA 300 for Christmas and have added it to my first 300 with a sub mini. They work great together except when I used my turntable through Line In. Then just one of the speakers plays correctly and the other one at a greatly reduced volume. I’ve even swapped the speakers and the new one still plays about half volume even when it is the one with line in connected. Sonos support couldn’t help. Can you offer any guidance? Also balance isn’t an options at all in the app for this pair which seems odd. If I could adjust that I would think it would work. 

Greg

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 28 December 2023, 03:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Swap the cables at the turntable and see if the volume changes sides.

Make sure the plug is fully inserted into the USB converter.

Thanks Stanley, this was the correct answer. Swapping out the turntable for a different Line In option proved there was nothing wrong with the ERA 300, but something to do with the turntable itself. If in doubt, look to the 40 year old tech item first! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Check the cartridge connection wires in the head shell, they can often be happier after you twist the connectors a bit on the pins to improve the connection there.

If the head shell is removable open it up and use a soft cloth on the male and female contacts there too.