Skip to main content

Greetings:

I am having massive problems with my Sonos system (Arc, Sub 3, two One SLs as surrounds). One symptom is that I can’t get sound from my 4k blu-ray player, although the picture is fine. I have spent literally days trying to figure it out, but I guess it’s too complicated to deal with here. 

I have a 65” LG G3, an Apple TV 4K with ethernet and 256gb, and an Oppo 4k player. 

But one simple thing is happening, maybe this will be a clue. When I play a Tidal playlist, using the Apple TV Tidal app, whenever I hit a Tidal song that features Dolby Atmos, I get a big red warning about how my device does not support Atmos, and that the song will be covered to stereo. I’d be fine with that, except the resulting sound is very low and muffled. I also tried turning off the Arc and seeing if the ‘stereo’ sound would be going to the surround. It doesn’t. 

When I try the same playlist using Apple Music, it plays fine, although I’m not sure if it is playing Dolby Atmos or not. 

What could be causing this? 

Try these settings for your TV:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

eARC Support: On

Set the Apple TV audio settings to this:

Change Format: Off

Dolby Atmos: On

When you are playing Apple Music are you using the integrated Apple Music app on the Sonos app? Does the Dolby Atmos logo show on the mobile app Now Playing screen when playing Spacial Audio from Apple Music?  Sonos made that logo smaller.  The logo should be to the right under the album art.

Hi there, and thanks for the help. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. All the settings you gave me were as was, except for the TV Digital Sound Output, that was set to Auto, I changed it to Pass Through as you suggested. No luck. 

When you are playing Apple Music are you using the integrated Apple Music app on the Sonos app? Does the Dolby Atmos logo show on the mobile app Now Playing screen when playing Spacial Audio from Apple Music?  Sonos made that logo smaller.  The logo should be to the right under the album art.

No I’m using the Apple TV Tidal and Apple TV Apple Music apps. The Tidal app used to work fine, until the other day. 

I realize maybe I wasn’t thinking about how most people use music with the Sonos app and the Arc. They just play music. I use the Apple TV apps cuz I only use it for music when I am working out, and I like seeing the cover art. When I am listening to music seriously, I have a high end 2 channel music system for that. And I do have an older Model One up on my patio that I use for music there, but it’s too cold for that now. 

Once I understood what you were asking, I figured I would try it out. I had to re-authorize the Sonos Apple Music app, and then strangely, the Sonos Radio app. Then I was able to push music directly from the Sonos apps to the Arc, without having the TV or Apple TV in the middle. So here’s what I found:
As you suggested, when playing the same songs from the same playlist that were identified as being Dolby Atmos, when using Apple Music via the Sonos app, they were identified as Dolby Atmos. When doing the same thru the Tidal app, they weren’t. However, the songs I played thru the Sonos/Tidal app sounded good, which was different from when I played them thru the Apple TV/Tidal app. I’m still not sure tho why I get the error message about lack of Atmos capability when doing so, (photo above) other than I am having a multitude of other problems with the Arc (no sound out of the 4K player, for example). 

Thanks for your help!