Amp with Mini Sub

• 14 May 2023
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 6 replies

Hi. I currently use my Sonos AMP to power speakers that are located on my deck. Due to the hardwired speakers the amp is located about 40feet from the deck. 

I recently bought a mini sub to place on the deck to supplement wired outdoor speakers. The mini doesn’t provide any audio when used on the deck. It connects to the amp but won’t play. If I bring the mini sub inside (closer to the AMP) then it works. 

I noticed that all my Sonos gear works on WM1 except the mini sub which is on WM2. I think that means it’s acting as a surround device for the amp and is getting its signal directly from the amp on wifi. Maybe the mini is too far from the amp. 

The mini works fine with Sonos One speakers all over the house. When added to the room with the Sonos One the mini works on WM1 like everything else. 

Does this sound like I’m on the right track?  Can I cause the mini to work with the AMP on WM1 like it does with the sonos one speakers?  Tomorrow I can call support but I’d like to figure it out today  

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I think you’re on the correct track. The Sub, or Sub mini, connects to the Sonos Amp using a 5Ghz connection, which is more sensitive to distance and absorption than a 2.4Ghz connection. It’s entirely possible that the distance is too great for a stable connection, or that there’s enough material (wood, plaster, etc) in the way that is absorbing some amount of the signal. 

This will be tough to resolve.

Try moving a ONE closer to the MINI and wire the MINI to the ONE. This is not the best imaginable solution because two wireless players strapped together don’t always work well. If this scheme seems to work, you might be able to replace the ONE with a BOOST. No promises.

Another solution might be using EoP (Ethernet over Powerline). While this would be my last choice for a SONOS system, sometimes there is a miracle.

Another possibility is relocating the MINI and/or AMP slightly to a more favorable 5GHz signal location. Note that this can also be a fragile solution during parties. Humans are mostly water bags and water effectively absorbs WiFi.

Thanks Bruce. If you’re right, and I suspect you are, my next effort will be to see if I can get the amp to interface with the mini like the Sonos Ones do ( all on the same wifi signal, 2.4 ghz, on WM1). If I can’t I’ll probably return the mini. I committed to the outdoor speakers (Bose) when I bought the amp. It’s all been good ‘til now when I’m realizing that the amp is a bit more complex than the other Sonos speakers for music. 

Thanks Buzz. I actually pondered a new location for the amp. Of course it would need to be inline with the speaker wires that feed the outdoor speakers. In this case it would be in the roof adjacent to eaves near the deck speakers. That sounds like a semi nightmare to set up (probably needing a new outlet location) and a full nightmare if I ever needed to troubleshoot the amp later. I’ll probably wait to see what Sonos thinks then do some soul searching about how important the extra bass really is. First world problem?..yes. 

Buzz,  based on your idea regarding connecting a ONE with the MINI I’ve set up (on wifi) the MINI with a ONE that’s called “entry”.  Once that was all working I took the MINI out to the deck. As long as the amp and the entry “one” are both playing I’ve got the MINI bass outside. Not ideal but a possible work around. Besides, when the mini was working as a surround to the amp it seemed there was limited volume available to the mini. Maybe I just imagined that. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Dave

A single ONE cannot be a surround speaker. And, unless you are using an HDMI-ARC connection to AMP, it cannot be the foundation of a surround system. In your lash-up as the MINI communication enhancement there is no need for the ONE to be playing anything, but it can certainly be part of a Group. In this configuration ONE’s primary function is as a wireless mesh point for MINI’s network connection.

I’ve done similar in the past and it mostly worked, but there were a few incidents requiring a reboot. This is not a recommended best practice. If this works satisfactorily for you, go for it because it’s quick, easy, and avoids a nasty rewire. BOOST is a good candidate here, but if the environment also has BOOST on the edge, I’ll note that ONE’s radio is better than BOOST’s radio.

Wrap-Up…

I called support today.  The Sonos Amp does in fact drive the Sonos mini with its own wifi signal.  The recommended maximum distance between the amp and the mini is 15’ and walls make it worse.  As a work-around I’ve added the mini to a single speaker (one) in our bedroom.  When I want to have the mini on the deck I move it from the bedroom to the deck and group the deck (amp) and the bedroom (one+mini) to play the same content.

It’s not perfect in that there will always be a one playing in the bedroom when the listener is on the deck.  Realistically I did plan to keep the mini in the bedroom during the winter months and when it was not in use.  During those times of year, 8 months here in the NW, I’d have it assigned to the bedroom anyway.

So I think Airgetlam and Buzz were right on track.  Thanks for the help.

Dave

Try my other scheme of using the ONE as a mesh point. MINI would be bonded to AMP and wired to ONE. If this works reliably there would be no need to Group the ONE -- just locate ONE cleverly. Again, no promises.