Alexa skill options - Sonos percentage volumes (hubless)

• 22 November 2023
  • 7 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

This is the subject of a few forums and many suggestions, but I haven’t been able to find a solution (including from Sonos Customer Support).

In short, I have a network of Sonos One units for which I want to control individual unit volumes using percentage settings from Alexa. Standard Alexa only allows 10 volume increments, so using the Sonos skill does not work. The Sonos devices have a wide and very good range of volume and adjusting them effectively by 10% at a time is hopeless.

For years I used Yonomi via Alexa, which used the Sonos API and that worked perfectly. Unfortunately, they went under.

So I then subscribed to IFTTT, which also worked well … and then Alexa withdrew its support of IFTT.

There are several solutions set up to use the Sonos API, but all the ones I have found require the setting up of a hub. I don’t want to have to have a PC or Raspberry PI device just to control my music system volumes!

Is anyone aware of a hubless Alexa option? (Preferably free, but perhaps that’s a forlorn hope!)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Sonos Voice Control allows you to set volume with 1% granularity.

Sonos Voice Control allows you to set volume with 1% granularity.

Hi jgatie - thanks for the reply. Yes, I know, but Sonos Volume Control is not usable in a routine. The need is not voice-based per se - some are based on time-of-day, some are based on trigger events, etc. Thanks anyway.

This has been marked as answered by the person who responded, even though I made clear that it is not a satisfactory answer. I appreciated the response, but the suggestion does not solve the problem.

This has been marked as answered by the person who responded, even though I made clear that it is not a satisfactory answer. I appreciated the response, but the suggestion does not solve the problem.

I didn't mark it as answered, someone else did.  I would never assume one of my posts was a definitive answer.

I didn't mark it as answered, someone else did.  I would never assume one of my posts was a definitive answer.

My apologies. The notification I received from this post phrased it this way: ‘… has been marked with a "Best Answer" written by jgatie’. I took that to mean you had marked it yourself, but clearly I misunderstood. I am very sorry!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Users can’t mark posts as answered unless they started the topic, it may have been an oopsie by a Sonos moderator.

Users can’t mark posts as answered unless they started the topic, it may have been an oopsie by a Sonos moderator.

Thanks for letting me know, Stanley.