Answered

Adding a Roam to a stereo pair of One SL's

• 28 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have a stereo pair of One SL’s that are on the mantle of our electric fireplace in a living area section of kitchen, dining and living room area. The entire space is probably around 400 sq feet. Anyway, in adding a Roam into the mix do I add it to the existing stereo pair? Or do I simply call the Roam by a different room name and link them together? Also, if I added two Roams would I link as two stereo pairs? I want to add the Roam to have a portable speaker for occasional travel and use on our patio.

Thanks,

Alan

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 29 April 2024, 16:59

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Roam should be put in a separate “room” in the Sonos app, in fact it it can’t even be added the the existing One SL “room”. Two rooms can be “grouped” through the app though.

I do not own a Roam, but understand they can be set up as a stereo pair while on WiFi, but they need to be separated before you can use them stand alone on bluetooth. Others could say this for certain.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you, 106rallye, I appreciate your response. I think I pretty much knew that; but hoped there was a way to put three or more speakers together other than as separate “rooms” being grouped together. Do you know if the Roam and the SL’s will work together in Trueplay?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, separate rooms do separate Trueplay.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks, 106rallye, but what I wonder, before buying, is regarding a Roam grouped with two One’s in a physical room. Since the Roam automatically adjusts to where it is, will these grouped speakers in one physical room adjust sound to work well together? 

Thanks, 106rallye, but what I wonder, before buying, is regarding a Roam grouped with two One’s in a physical room. Since the Roam automatically adjusts to where it is, will these grouped speakers in one physical room adjust sound to work well together? 

No.  The One SLs use normal trueplay, which isnt’ going to be aware of others speakers in the room to make adjustments.  The Roam’s autotrueplay will make adjustments, but I can’t see it making adjustments to be aware of another pair of speakers that happen to be playing the same audio.

Either way, The One SLs will be playing stereo, while the Roam plays mono.  Unless it’s a large room and the One SLs can’t cover the space on thier own, you will likely get better sound by leaving the Roam off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This was far less confusing before the marketing types decided “Zone” was a dirty word and purged it.

Back when you could say a room in your house could have one or more Sonos Zones in it. The Zone could be a single speaker, stereo Pair or a Surround system, with or without Sub(s.) You could group each Sonos Zone (in the same house room or not) with other Sonos Zones to play the same audio.

That, looking at Trueplay, would be simpler when you say you can Trueplay each individual Sonos Zone. The Zones are done independently of other Zones, even if they are in the same room.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you everyone who responded to my question!  Each response was helpful for me to understand better how Trueplay and Rooms work. Since I want something portable I will just go for it and see how it works with my existing setup.