Answered

Adding a Play 3 to existing setup running S2, getting error 9

• 3 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I’m currently trying to add a play 3 to my existing home system, Current system is a combination of Play1s and play3s all running on S2.

when I add this new Play 3 I get to the point where it has been added to my network and software says it needs to update my new speaker, it starts and then stops, giving an error code 9, incompatible speaker.

I have tried multiple factory resets and taken the speaker back to S1 using the S2 app, the result is always the same, Error code 9

Has anyone else experience this?

icon

Best answer by Mark Dix 4 March 2024, 05:28

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Have you tried connecting it with an Ethernet cable for the setup/update process?

I’m assuming new is actually new to you as Sonos hasn’t made Play 3s for some time now.

Is there any possibility it could be defective? If so try adding it, send Sonos a diagnostic and call in to Support to have them look at your internal (hidden from users) data.

Yes new to me, I picked up a pair of play 3s from the same previous owner, the first one connected just fine, that’s the confusing part.

I’ve tried the Ethernet cable straight into the boost and its the same result.

Ive sent diagnostics to Sonos support and will call them tomorrow during office hours.

I’m not convinced the unit is defective at this point but I guess we will see

Cheers

Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The cable should be connected to your router, not the Boost, I think?

Userlevel 7

The cable should be connected to your router, not the Boost, I think?

It shouldn’t matter, unless there is an issue with the Ethernet connection between Boost and router.

so I spoke to Sonos tech support this morning who were very helpful, we had to factory reset the speaker, reset the S1 app and update the speaker to S1 on a separate network, then once that was done we updated the speaker to S2 and then added it to my existing network, all up it took about 40 mins on the phone but the tech support was excellent.