Answered

24bit flac files: Supported on the new Era100 ?

• 9 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have struggled with the Sonos One because it does not support high definition flac files (24 bit encoding, for example). I can’t play 100’s of tracks in my library due to errors like this:

“unsupported sample rate 24b9600”

in the Sonos app. (on Android)

Is this resolved in the Era100?

I would like to consider a full apartment setup of the Era… but need to know that my music library will work! (HDTracks and other audiophile vendors often provide 24 bit flac files)

icon

Best answer by jgatie 9 March 2023, 23:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Most Sonos devices have supported 24 bit files for a while.  What Sonos doesn't support is bit rates over 48 kHz.

Userlevel 7

@SamJones6 Check out this article of supported audio formats on Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-audio-formats-for-sonos-music-library

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d down-sample the problem files and see if I could hear a difference before I started replacing speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’d down-sample the problem files and see if I could hear a difference before I started replacing speakers.

I am the other way around….

My philosophy is: Tech is the slave. I am the master. IOW: Tech serves me.

I buy a fair amount on hdtracks.com. Some of their stuff comes , in the lowest res, as 96K sample rate… (for some items they have higher sample rate, but I always select the lower option which is often 96). I expect it to play…

I don’t care if the sonos app (or speaker) downsamples it. I just need it to work. (I can play it in the car… I want to play it at home too!)

The question is not “how does it sound” or “why the ******* do you have such a useless level of audio resolution”. This ****** is in my library. A lot of it. A growing amount of it.

The question is: Can Sonos make my life better by just making it work?

Moderator note: Language modified per Community standards.

Hdtracks.com has let you down by selling you tracks that will not play everywhere.

I am the other way around….

My philosophy is: Tech is the slave. I am the master. IOW: Tech serves me.

I buy a fair amount on hdtracks.com. Some of their stuff comes , in the lowest res, as 96K sample rate… (for some items they have higher sample rate, but I always select the lower option which is often 96). I expect it to play…

I don’t care if the sonos app (or speaker) downsamples it. I just need it to work. (I can play it in the car… I want to play it at home too!)

The question is not “how does it sound” or “why the ******* do you have such a useless level of audio resolution”. This ****** is in my library. A lot of it. A growing amount of it.

The question is: Can Sonos make my life better by just making it work?

Moderator note: Language modified per Community standards.

Sonos is not for you.  Buy something which is. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

FWIW, I found half an answer.
If you drive Sonos from Roon, Roon knows what Sonos can handle, and it downstamples/transcodes as needed so that whatever you have will play.

Now, I do not have Roon, but given the limitations of the Sonos software I may have to set it up.