Why is the maximum volume so low?

• 26 February 2014
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is this problem still not resolved?

Hi Dr.Sah,

There isn't a universal issue with Sonos speakers and their maximum volume. If your system is too quiet, please let us know. Also, let us know what kind of Sonos units you have and what other hardware you may be using, such as third party speakers connected to a CONNECT:AMP.

It may also help us to see a diagnostic report from your system. Please send in a report and reply with the confirmation number, here's how.
Same issue. I have a sound bar, 3 play 1s, sub, and just purchased a play 5. I've been comparing the sound with each individual speaker- same source, same volume level (50%) and the play 5 is considerably quieter than all of them. This is really disappointing. Has anyone had this fixed by submitting diagnostics?
Same issue. I have a sound bar, 3 play 1s, sub, and just purchased a play 5. I've been comparing the sound with each individual speaker- same source, same volume level (50%) and the play 5 is considerably quieter than all of them. This is really disappointing. Has anyone had this fixed by submitting diagnostics?

What's wrong with just turning it up?
I just purchased the Play 5 speaker, I have noticed the volume goes from 1-40 on my Iphone S. Speaker sounds really quiet at volume 10 (quarter of the way up)and you can start to hear it better at volume 20 or "half way up". Half way to full volume is a huge difference in loudness, is this normal?? I went into settings and turned treble up and loudness is "On". I also have purchased the sound bar, sub, along with 2 Play 3's which I have not yet setup or taken out of the box.
mattstilwell5,

There is no industry standard regarding the correlation between "10", "20", "30", or "100" and the sound pressure level in the room. Also, "10" in a small room and "10" in a large room will result in a much higher sound pressure level in the small room -- all things being equal.

If I can make any generalization it is that lower quality equipment plays louder at a low control setting than higher quality equipment. In the big box stores I watch customers trying out boom boxes and such. The common comment is that "this is a powerful unit because you only need to crack the volume control before is blows you out of the room." In fact, the high quality units have a lot more power and play louder. You could make a similar comparison with the accelerator in a car. If a small press results in rapid acceleration and high speed, the car seems "peppy", but it is also difficult to control in traffic.

The real question is: "Does the unit get loud enough for your purposes?" If so, ignore the numbers.
Hello, I buy my first Sonos product, a Play 5. I'm really happy with sound quality but not really impressed by volume. Even at 2/3, not really loud. In Sonos app on my iPhone 6S, I have 30 steps for volume, and it starts have good sound at 20 (careful, when you are at half of the trigger in Sonos app, you have already reached 2/3 of max volume). Is there an issue with my speaker? Do I need to send diagnostic? Many thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hello, I buy my first Sonos product, a Play 5. I'm really happy with sound quality but not really impressed by volume. Even at 2/3, not really loud. In Sonos app on my iPhone 6S, I have 30 steps for volume, and it starts have good sound at 20 (careful, when you are at half of the trigger in Sonos app, you have already reached 2/3 of max volume). Is there an issue with my speaker? Do I need to send diagnostic? Many thanks for your help.

I suggest you read the replies above.

But in a nutshell it's very unlikely there is a problem with the speaker.

Forget where the slider is or the number. Just turn up the volume to suit your tastes.
In the past there have numerous complaints that Sonos speakers don't get quiet enough at the lowest levels (for people that like to listen to music while sleeping for example), given the play:5 is the newest Sonos device I wouldn't be surprised if Sonos recalibrated the volume control to give more adjustability at the lower levels. Fact is though if the maximum volume is too loud for you then it goes loud enough, just keep turning it up until you find the level you're happy with.
This sounds familiar, pun intended. I've got two new Sonos Play 5 Gen II speakers and at 25% volume you can just barely start to hear them and at 50% they are just loud enough to listen to in a quiet room. If there is general noise in the room ie kids, pets, dishwasher then I've got to go to at least 75% for comfortable listening. All other speakers in the house including Play 1's, Play 3's, Soundbar and SUB are loud enough to hear fine at 25% and probably nearing ear damaging at 50% volume. When the whole house is grouped together the 5's are set almost double to attain the same sound output. A little strange that the new Play 5's are so different in the volume range but they still sound great and I have just learned to turn them up more than I do with the other speakers.
Exactly. The thing to remember is there's no danger in turning them all the way up. Well, no danger to the play:5 itself at least, there might be to your hearing...
Badge
I was having the same problem. Reseting the speaker to factory settings helped a lot.
I was having the same problem. Reseting the speaker to factory settings helped a lot.

One should never reset to factory settings unless instructed to by a Sonos tech or a forum veteran. Not only does it erase all your information including playlists and service account info, it gets rid of valuable diagnostic information.
Badge
I was having the same problem. Resetting the speaker to factory settings helped a lot.

One should never reset to factory settings unless instructed to by a Sonos tech or a forum veteran. Not only does it erase all your information including playlists and service account info, it gets rid of valuable diagnostic information.

I believe you're incorrect. Factory resetting a speaker does not delete playlist or service account info, that only happens when you reset the controller. Controller meaning Sonos App on your phone or computer.

Correct me if im wrong. I just joined the SONOS family a week ago.

I believe you're incorrect. Factory resetting a speaker does not delete playlist or service account info, that only happens when you reset the controller. Controller meaning Sonos App on your phone or computer.

Sorry, but you are wrong. In fact, you have it backwards. Resetting a controller does nothing because the controller app stores no settings, they are stored in the players. Now if you reset a player and add it back to an existing system, you will inherit the existing settings, favorites, playlists, etc. from the other players., You still lose the diagnostics from that player, which is not good, but not a disaster. However, there are many users who only have a single Sonos device, or they are having problems with all their devices, and if they follow the suggestion to factory reset, they will be pretty upset to find all their user accounts, favorites, and playlists are now gone.
Badge

Sorry, but you are wrong. In fact, you have it backwards. Resetting a controller does nothing because the controller app stores no settings, they are stored in the players. Now if you reset a player and add it back to an existing system, you will inherit the existing settings, favorites, playlists, etc. from the other players., You still lose the diagnostics from that player, which is not good, but not a disaster. However, there are many users who only have a single Sonos device, or they are having problems with all their devices, and if they follow the suggestion to factory reset, they will be pretty upset to find all their user accounts, favorites, and playlists are now gone.

Thanks. Good to know. I thought the account held all those info.
Badge
I definitely have this sound issue -- I really have to turn it up to 50% to hear much of anything on wireless play of my music library. I have a single brand new play 5.
I definitely have this sound issue -- I really have to turn it up to 50% to hear much of anything on wireless play of my music library. I have a single brand new play 5.

So what does it sound like if you turn it up to 100%?
Badge
It sounds pretty loud, but not what I would consider maximum loudness. It really is that it is very low until 50% or a little past that
Why does that matter though? It gives more flexibility at the lowest end, which is something many people have been asking for. The relative volume %age isn't relevant, as long as it goes up to the volume you want it makes no difference if it's 30%, 50% or 90%.
I've the same issue with play5 2nd. The main problem is, that I need to put very high volume to hear anything and then when change the source to streaming it hurts of course.
I couldn't find any info about the supported range of voltage on the linein, anybody knows about this specification?

The argument for the strange behavoir (I've read on the upper comments) is to make people happy with fine granular adjustments on lower volumnes.
But this should be possible to adjust by the person itself by setting the level of the linein itself.
@sioux,
1) The OP and the rest of the thread said nothing about volume from the line-in. The thread is about volume from all sources.

2) You can adjust the level of the line-in.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
It sounds pretty loud, but not what I would consider maximum loudness. It really is that it is very low until 50% or a little past that

I'm about to completely change my system from a Hegel H160 and ATC SCM40 II to a much more simple, less expensive wireless system, as I don't use it enough to justify the silly prices of hi fi gear, but I have a large-ish room, and I like to listen on the louder side. I've read through this thread, but I'm still not convinced that the absolute max SPL is adequate; I can live with a logarithmic approach to the volume control, but only if 0 attenuation is loud enough. How does the max SPL of the 5 compare to a 1, that's the key question that's unanswered in this thread, can anyone make that comparison?

To reference my expectation, of course I don't expect a £400 small box to get close to the silly levels that the ATCs could reach, but that's not what I am expecting, nor require, but it needs to be loud enough to drown out conversation!
This thread is two years old and refers to the old Play:5. The new one is a ground up redesign. Honestly, if you can sit in front of a new play:5 on full volume you're a) already completely deaf or b) a liar! It's loud, stop worrying about it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Thanks LH, glad to see you're as robust in your answer as ever 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I should have added; I presume that you have spent time listening to both versions?