Skip to main content

First off, when I bought my Sonos One SL everything was fine out of the box with the old phone app.  I loved it so much I bought 3 more, so I have 4 total Sonos One SL systems.  When I was FORCED to upgrade to the new app, all hell broke loose and it’s never been the same.  A quick look at the Google Play Store reviews section for the current Sonos app confirms that MANY people are having DISASTROUSLY TERRIBLE experiences with Sonos now.

Originally I bought the system for my wife so she registered it and was the system owner/admin.  When I had her move ownership to me, everything became literally unusable.  The FOUR Sonos systems I own cannot be used at all.

It appears you have some kind of heuristics based theft or hardware cloning protection that has kicked in viciously and rendered my products unusable.

Possible trigger points:

1. moving ownership to a new account
  2. geo-IP location in Eastern Europe
  3. 3 of the systems were sold at a U.S. military base exchange so they were “intended” for North America, 1 was purchased on the German market
  4. Trying to register the 4 systems to the new account

Furthermore, the factory reset is nothing of the sort, as you well know.  If it were a true factory reset then after resetting my 4 systems I would be able to add them as if they were new to my account without issue.  But there is all kinds of garbage going on with your backend where it is triggering protections or whatever so I can’t even register my systems.

I can register any ONE of my systems just fine, but when I start trying to add a second system - oh no, it seems the FACTORY RESET system cannot be found on my wifi network that my phone is on.  Well duh, if it was a factory reset then the wifi isn’t set up on the speaker.  Despite being freshly installed and updated, the app routinely checks to make sure it is the most recent version - and then it takes 8 minutes and doesn’t figure that out.  At one point the app asked me to unplug my ROUTER and plug it back in.  It routinely switches me back and forth AUTOMATICALLY from my wife’s account (associated with some of the speakers) to my account, just back and forth.  Without reason.  Because you have this stuff stored on the speakers and it’s over-riding the app.

Look, it’s not my job to trouble shoot your garbage software.  Just know that it’s garbage and about half your customer base hates you.  Good for you that you operate in the USA and have a nice legal protection with your user agreement because if you operated anywhere else in the world you would have been fined into oblivion by consumer protection agencies long ago.

You have rendered your product COMPLETELY UNUSABLE for many of your customers.  Your marketing folks are doing a good job keeping this fact off the major tech media sites so far….but if you continue to wantonly ignore your customers there is only so much lying and covering up those journalists are willing to do.  You aren’t rich enough to cover up your garbage products and keep selling broken trash forever.

Hi @Angry_Customer9747828282 

It really does sound like you are having some networking issues there. I understand that this can be extremely frustrating for you. As there’s no existing technical support ticket for you, I highly recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network, and what they report. It may be as simple as changing one setting on the router.

It appears you have some kind of heuristics based theft or hardware cloning protection that has kicked in viciously and rendered my products unusable.

I assure you, we do not. More likely is that the router isn’t allowing the app to communicate effectively with the speakers. This is typical behaviour with WiFi extenders - if you have any of those, I recommend you turn them off while troubleshooting as they are not supported.

I hope this helps.

Good grief.

1. STOP FACTORY RESETTING!!!!  It does nothing that a reboot wont do, and it erases valuable diagnostic information.
  2. STOP REBOOTING YOUR ROUTER!!!!  Unless you follow a router reboot with a network refresh (see below), all you are doing is zeroing out your IP allocation table, leading to more chaos due to duplicate IP addresses.
  3. Follow the instructions below, EXACTLY!

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Rebooting the router may offer a temporary respite, but in reality it exacerbates the situation because the reboot simply loses track of the IP assignments all over again. You need to do a complete refresh:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Good grief.

1. STOP FACTORY RESETTING!!!!  It does nothing that a reboot wont do, and it erases valuable diagnostic information.
  2. STOP REBOOTING YOUR ROUTER!!!!  Unless you follow a router reboot with a network refresh (see below), all you are doing is zeroing out your IP allocation table, leading to more chaos due to duplicate IP addresses.
  3. Follow the instructions below, EXACTLY!

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Rebooting the router may offer a temporary respite, but in reality it exacerbates the situation because the reboot simply loses track of the IP assignments all over again. You need to do a complete refresh:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Please try this, @Angry_Customer9747828282. It was the solution for me, many years ago, resulting in years of (almost) trouble-free listening pleasure. 

@Angry_Customer9747828282 It’s unfortunate that you have Factory Reset multiple times. This is a networking issue that has been complicated by the multiple resets of the SONOS players and the router. Since we don’t know how your WiFi is setup. I suggest that you wire the players to the network as you work through this.

After you get the system setup, you can keep one or more players wired to the network. SONOS will build its own wireless network (ignoring WiFi) and work around most potential WiFi related issues -- as long as the controller phone/pad has access to the same network that is wired to the player(s).

However, a SonosNet (wired) system does not fix duplicate IP address issues, something that is addressed if you follow the instructions (to the letter) that @jgatie listed. None of the things being mentioned are Sonos issues, they all have to do with your local network, be it wired or unwired. 

I have the same issue,  Any Solution???

I think you might have to set out your own issue.  The OP’s furious rant didn’t make much sense.

I think you might have to set out your own issue.  The OP’s furious rant didn’t make much sense.

But @jgatie‘s suggestion above is good advice.