Skip to main content

Hi, 

I am seriously considering purchasing a pair of IKEA Symfonisk lamps, but just have a quick question regarding controlling the volume. 

If I pair them up, I’m aware that using the app I can adjust the volume and it will adjust them both together. That’s great and what I would want. 
What happens if I use the volume buttons on the lamp itself though. Would it adjust the lamp on the other side of the bed as well?(again, if paired)

This is what I’m hoping will be the case, but wanted to clarify before going and getting them. 

Thank you! 

I don’t have the IKEA lamps, but all Sonos ‘Rooms’ operate independently of each other. If you set the lamps up as separate rooms - ‘Bedroom A’ and ‘Bedroom B’ (just as examples) the hardware volume buttons will work entirely separately, even if you ‘group’ them both to play the same music stream.

However if you ‘Pair’ rather than ‘Group’ the two speakers, then they become one Sonos ‘Room’ playing the left/right stereo audio channels and in that case the buttons on either speaker will control the volume on the pair.

I don’t have the IKEA lamps, but all Sonos ‘Rooms’ operate independently of each other. If you set the lamps up as separate rooms - ‘Bedroom A’ and ‘Bedroom B’ (just as examples) the hardware volume buttons will work entirely separately, even if you ‘group’ them both to play the same music stream.

However if you ‘Pair’ rather than ‘Group’ the two speakers, then they become one Sonos ‘Room’ playing the left/right stereo audio channels and in that case the buttons on either speaker will control the volume on the pair.

That’s perfect and exactly what I want it to do! 
Thank you for clearing that up. 

I take it also that it doesn’t matter what the source of sound/ music is coming from eg. If I Airplay from my iPhone instead of using the app the volume button on one of the lamps will change the other one? (Again if paired)

That’s perfect and exactly what I want it to do! 
Thank you for clearing that up. 

I take it also that it doesn’t matter what the source of sound/ music is coming from eg. If I Airplay from my iPhone instead of using the app the volume button on one of the lamps will change the other one? (Again if paired)

Yes that’s correct, the type of audio source being played doesn’t make any difference?

Note that the new model of the lamp is coming next month (along with the Picture Frame), so either pick up anold one for cheap now, or wait for the new one. (And no, I have no idea what the difference between them is).

Note that the new model of the lamp is coming next month (along with the Picture Frame), so either pick up anold one for cheap now, or wait for the new one. (And no, I have no idea what the difference between them is).

Ah typical, I ordered a pair off eBay last night!

Hopefully it won’t be a dramatic update!

Where did you see that they are going to release new models? 

Ah typical, I ordered a pair off eBay last night!

Hopefully it won’t be a dramatic update!

Where did you see that they are going to release new models? 

There is a Sonos/IKEA press event on June 14, which will announce the Gen 2 Lamp and the Picture Frame.