Truly wireless - Battery Powered PLAY unit

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Come on Sonos - when are you going to develop a battery powered unit? Even something as simple as a UE Boom can't be that difficult!
Summer is coming! So hurry up Sonos, launch a real portal Sonos I can use in my garden!
Another new customer looking for truly wireless solution. I want my non tech parents to be able to carry a portable speaker outside to listen to music on the patio and NOT have them to worry about power source, extension cord etc. Why would I complicate our home entertainment system with the Bluetooth add-ons. I'm looking for integrated one stop solution rechargeable battery speaker solution! Is it coming???
Userlevel 1
Rechargeable unit please; why such absence of updates from Sonos???

Sonos tends not to update unless they have something to announce. So if you don't see an update, there is nothing coming. Unless you want them to come here weekly and state "Still nothing coming!"?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Never going to happen. Hence no updates. No nothing. Three years later and they are still laughing at the notion.
There are other solutions out there that support your desire.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I've done that, but for other speakers, adding a bunch of LiIon cells inside, a charger + a step-up converter, but not for a play:1, sorry. There is a hack here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLs2MeU9Wi0, but you'll still have to recharge the pack manually. I've not looked at it in details, but I would rather recommend starting from a LiIon pack more above 11.1V to not overdrive the step-up - anyway, this is a hack that will void warranty obviously. I guess this is not what you want.
Has anyone found an off the shelf solution? I recently jumped on the Sonos wagon and am in love. I put a Play 1 in my bedroom and a Connect wired to my living room receiver. I am itching for two more, one for the kitchen and another for the bathroom. The perfect location for a Play 1 in the bathroom doesn't have power near it. It is next to a window. Solar? Battery? Is the only easy solution to really run a cable? I think it would bother me to no end.
Userlevel 2
I have seen this request so many times, and your response same as always; we will put the request to our developers. Your system are so incomplete without a battery speaker for the outdoor listening. Please make one!
Why Sonos are you not listening???? Battery powered?? Rechargeable??? Makes me worry that maybe you can't be a financially viable competitor??? What are you waiting for????
I'm with everyone else who wants a portable unit. I have just bought a Roberts radio that nearly does what I want. Come on Sonos, this is a whole new market for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
From what I read sonos had a team working on this for 2 years, called project hopscotch. They were let go when sonos decided on current voice/opening up to spotify direction.
So this will NEVER happen now, my guess would be playbar2 for end 2017.
Many thanks for this intel. Sounds a bit like the Amazon Echo; maybe that is where the market is. I still think a portable would be very popular, particularly as an add-on for existing users,
Many thanks for this intel. Sounds a bit like the Amazon Echo; maybe that is where the market is. I still think a portable would be very popular, particularly as an add-on for existing users,

It doesn't just "sound like Amazon Echo", it is Amazon Echo:

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening