Skip to main content

Hi Sonos  

I am finding your trade up offer grossly unfair. Today you have informed us that our Play 5 Gen 1 are basically becoming obsolete! I own 2 of the above speakers and have loved them for many years. You are now asking loyal customers,in my position,to pay almost £750 to replace them(30% discounted). This doesn’t sound like a very good deal to me. 
My only option may be to sell my speakers privately so I can afford to buy a new system  This ,however,would not be Sonos. 
Graeme

Hi Sonos

I purchase 8 play 5 generation 1 speakers and a bridge about 4 years ago from Best buy at a cost of about $4000.00. I started having problems with 1 of my Sonos play 5 speakers not playing music. The tech support was great, I had a hard time updating the software and was told that at some point they will no longer support the old Sonos play 5 generation 1 speaker software. So that wasn't good news. As far as the speaker goes, they determined that the amp inside the speaker no longer worked. I was told they would do a trade up policy for 30% the cost of a new play 5 generation 2 which is $500 bucks a speaker. That means I would have to pay about $349 per speaker. I own Bose speakers in my home and when I did a trade up they gave me 50% of the cost of a new one, and I have never had a faulty Bose speaker. I'm hoping the rest of my Sonos speakers gives me more than just four years for the money I paid for them. If speakers continue to fail I will be extremely disappointed. So at this point I'm crossing my fingers.

Ed

Happy, Not obsolete, just not getting updates. At some point they may no longer be supported by some Sonos partners but Sonos has said in other topics tech support will continue.

Not getting updates is a pretty big deal for multiple reasons

Your current devices not getting updates either is a huge deal.  I think that’s what people are probably the most furious about and where the conspiracy theories are coming form.

Yet it seems that every other post here prior to today is bitching and moaning about too many updates. Sonos can’t win.

Yet it seems that every other post here prior to today is bitching and moaning about too many updates. Sonos can’t win.

Bad take, Sonos is not the victim. 

Obviously, the issue will be that the “legacy” products may not be compatible with Sonos partners.  And Sonos cannot exist without it’s streaming partners.

Bad take, Sonos is not the victim. 

i don’t think it’s a matter of calling Sonos a victim, it’s about stating facts.  There are different groups of customers asking for different things that are often contradictory.   That doesn’t mean that people shouldn’t be upset or need to have sympathy for Sonos.  It just is what it is.