Answered

System skips songs during playback

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

173 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi mcmaxx, please let us know if you are still struggling, having implemented the steps we have advised. Thanks!
My sonos keeps skipping songs randomly, not every song but never had the problem before the last update, my diagnostic number is 6633703 thanks
Hi, I have submitted the following diagnostic number : 6779665

I purchased my sonos yesterday and was working perfectly until this afternoon where scratchy interference sounds can now be heard between tracks and skips certain songs. It wasn't doing this yesterday and I am now thinking of returning my items.

Can you provide advice please?

Many Thanks
we've had a sonos system for about 8 years and have just started experiencing a lot of problems. currently our issue is songs skipping when playing from the music library. our music library is housed on a nas...never had any issue until now.

diagnostic #6787000
I have this problem as well. When I play a playlist, Sonos often skips to the next song. This is not happening all the time. Sometimes it begins skipping songs and can skip regularly. I cant see a pattern in this behaviour. Unreliable internet connection? or music provider? Is this what will happen if the internet connection is a bit shaky?

More info: diagnostics id: 6791892 - But while I was sending the diagnostics in the desktop application, I got a error message box with text "..the connection to Deezer was lost". Seems to be a Internet connectivity/music provider problem
If I were to guess, I'd say it was IP conflicts. That's generally the case when a song stops in the middle and skips to the next track. Try unplugging everything connected to the router, and then unplug the router. Then plug it back in, and wait a few minutes until it's done booting up. Then do the same thing with all the other devices, waiting a few minutes for each to finish booting and requesting a new IP before moving to the next device.

The other suggestion is, if you feel that you have the skills, is to assign static IPs to all the speakers in your router. That will keep the issue from occurring again.

As to the connection with Deezer being lost, I'd suspect there's something too close to the router and/or speakers that is causing wifi interference, Sonos tends to point at wireless phones, baby monitors, webcams, etc.

But you've taken the first step, for sure. Submitting that diagnostic will give the Sonos folks much more information about the system, and they'll likely be able to give much more specific guidance than I can.
Badge +1
Songs are skipping a lot - this problem just seems to have developed in the last few days and is driving me potty. I've only had this Play 5 since October and this is the 2nd major issue I've encountered.

Any advice much appreciated.

I have just submitted diagnostics and confirmation no is 6798932 if that helps.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Songs are skipping a lot - this problem just seems to have developed in the last few days and is driving me potty. I've only had this Play 5 since October and this is the 2nd major issue I've encountered.

Any advice much appreciated.

I have just submitted diagnostics and confirmation no is 6798932 if that helps.

Hi, is your system still experiencing audio drops/skipping? If yes, what is the source of the music? (local or music services)
Same problem here. Music skipping with Apple Music. This issue is coming up every few weeks. Apple Music issues (empty playlists or not working at all) happening every now and then, too.

Would be great if you could finally get it to work properly.

Diagnose info: 6885908
I have the same issue. I have a 50mbit dsl connect - nothing else live on the network (secure) - and I get skips - stops - skip to next track way too frequently. I have 2 Play 1's and a single Play 3. I'm just trying to get the Play 3 to work in its own with no skipping. It sits right next to the router - so I can connect via Ethernet or wireless - makes no difference. Same issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have the same issue. I have a 50mbit dsl connect - nothing else live on the network (secure) - and I get skips - stops - skip to next track way too frequently. I have 2 Play 1's and a single Play 3. I'm just trying to get the Play 3 to work in its own with no skipping. It sits right next to the router - so I can connect via Ethernet or wireless - makes no difference. Same issue.

You do NOT want your Play 3 sitting right next to the router. Move it so there is less chance of wireless interference for a start
Stuart,

That's not the issue. I moved the Play 3 across the room, as far from the router possible. First song played - second song skipped. Same no matter where it's played. The frustrating part is it's totally random. Sometimes it'll play for an hour with no skips, at other times it'll skip / skip songs several times in an hour - with nothing else on a clean, high speed network.
Having the same isuue
It's driving me insane!
Just a comment or two....

Usually, these kinds of issues have nothing to do with the network speed outside of your home, but everything to do with the amount of interference inside your home.

I'd highly recommend rather than a "me too" post, a post that includes a system diagnostic would go a long way to allowing the folks from Sonos to look at your system and hopefully see something that they can use to provide you concrete assistance.
Just a comment or two....

Usually, these kinds of issues have nothing to do with the network speed outside of your home, but everything to do with the amount of interference inside your home.

I'd highly recommend rather than a "me too" post, a post that includes a system diagnostic would go a long way to allowing the folks from Sonos to look at your system and hopefully see something that they can use to provide you concrete assistance.

Just finished a 25 min call with technical support at sonos
After checking the log
He told me to unsign and resign Apple Music
Now all is good
Outstanding. That's one person who did the right thing :)

Delighted it's working for you!
Badge
Same here. Skipping in Apple Music and also from iPhone library. Seemed to be OK with Amazon. Diagnostic no 7443864
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
idparkinson, your router is occupying a channel that has other routers on it, that are providing a stronger signal. Needless to say, this is going to cause communication issues. Please log into your router, change the channel, then test the system. If this does not help, please respond as appropriate with a diagnostics confirmation number.
Badge
idparkinson, your router is occupying a channel that has other routers on it, that are providing a stronger signal. Needless to say, this is going to cause communication issues. Please log into your router, change the channel, then test the system. If this does not help, please respond as appropriate with a diagnostics confirmation number.

I have done as requested. Does the latest diagnostics look any better? 7451027

Ii may have improved but it is not always an issue, it comes and goes. I will monitor it over the next few days.

Thanks,

Ian
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It looks better, Ian. Please report back with any developments and we will have another look. Thanks.
Badge
I have the same problem playing from an iPhone playlist. Diagnostic #7480391.
Hi wassimk, thanks for posting the diagnostic. The report is showing data transmission issues between all rooms and your router. Additionally, the players have instances of disconnecting from the router, likely due to these transmission issues. Start by looking for sources of wireless interference around the system, this link will outline common sources of wireless interference. Additionally, if you're familiar with you router's configuration, you may want to try changing the wireless channel to 1 or 11 (you're currently on 6), and see if the performance changes.
I've got the same issues with the Spotify app. We have multiple devices (iPhones & iPads), it seems they are randomly affected. When it happens the Sonos Speaker skips 2 tracks and stops playing. The Speaker was on WiFi, but to exclude a connection issue I have connected it with an Ethernet cable, which is not giving me any results.

When I unplug the powercord out of the speaker it is resolved for a few days and then comes back.
I've got the same issues with the Spotify app. We have multiple devices (iPhones & iPads), it seems they are randomly affected. When it happens the Sonos Speaker skips 2 tracks and stops playing. The Speaker was on WiFi, but to exclude a connection issue I have connected it with an Ethernet cable, which is not giving me any results.

When I unplug the powercord out of the speaker it is resolved for a few days and then comes back.

It happened again 😞 Diagnostics #7601875
Badge
Skipping songs from my iPhone library.. Diagnostic code 7620285