Answered

System skips songs during playback

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

173 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Diagnostic #6106237

Hi TheBass, and welcome to the community!

I have reviewed your diagnostic and found some peaks of wireless interference. This often leads to the problems your system is experiencing at the moment.
Seen your system is setup using SonosNet like Ken mentioned. But unfortunately, both your router and the Sonos are sharing the same wireless channels.

Having both on the same wireless overloads it and leads to data getting lost. That's why time to time the audio drops. Best would be to follow the steps, Ken mentioned in his post to change the Sonos wireless channel. At this time, both the router and Sonos are using channel 1. Make sure the router is on fixed wireless channel 1 and but setup as auto change also that the wired Sonos CONNECT that is wired to the router is 3 feet (1meter) away from the router.

Test both Sonos wireless channels 6 and 11 for about 15mins each. After 15mins submit a diagnostic for both channel 6 and 11. We'd be happy to have a look at tell which wireless channel works best.
The Bass,

Consider cabling at least one Sonos device to your LAN, if you don't have that in place already as that will possibly help you too.

If your router is too far away to cable-in one of your existing Sonos devices, perhaps consider purchasing a Sonos Bridge (used/cheap) or Sonos Boost (more costly, but better signal)... as that will help seperate your speakers network traffic, from things that are running/communicating on your home LAN.
Oops, sorry Max P, I was posting the last message at the same time as you. I didn't mean to interfere ... I guess I can leave you and The Bass sort it out. I was just suggesting he try a few things to help out in the interim, in case you people, at Sonos Support, were busy.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Oops, sorry Max P, I was posting the last message at the same time as you. I didn't mean to interfere ... I guess I can leave you and The Bass sort it out. I was just suggesting he try a few things to help out in the interim, in case you people, at Sonos Support, were busy.
No problem, happy to see you jump in and help. Btw, nice troubleshooting you were spot on. 🙂

No problem, happy to see you jump in and help. Btw, nice troubleshooting you were spot on. :-)

MaxP,

That's kind of you to say, thanks very much.

I'm sure that 'The Bass' will soon have his 'Connect' issue resolved, once he makes the changes to his SonosNet channel.

The modern routers nowadays, auto-scan for channels using things like ’Compatibility or Performance' mode (see attachment)... initially I thought that was quite a good idea, but my guess is that my neighbours, often use these features too. The local signals do tend to change and swap about quite frequently in my neighbourhood and of course some neighbours are simply selecting random 'fixed' channels, without caring or knowing what signals are already in use.

So I'm not so sure that the auto-scan feature on modern routers is working as well as it was intended. It was much easier when things were stationary. I think the interference issues have got a lot worse in recent times. In fact I can see it becoming a real nuisance in built-up areas.

Anyhow no need to reply to this, as I guess you are all busy... Just thought it worthy of mention, that's all.
Hi, my new sonos play 1 also skips the end of every song. My diagnosis number is 6112608. Thank you.
Got some time to try and mess around. So far 1) I've tried all 3 channels in sonos. 2) I tried sonosnet. 3) I've hard set my router to channel 1 and turned off 5GHz. 4) I moved my connect (on LAN) as far away from the router as possible

At this point the connect will not stay connected and cannot play music. I suspect the connect issue is the source of all my problems since its been on LAN the whole time for 6+ months of use. I haven't had problems up until now.

Diagnostic is 6115510.
Another update, I unplugged the LAN cable and now everything works perfectly fine.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.
Another update, I unplugged the LAN cable and now everything works perfectly fine.

One thing I have really noticed with Sonos and its SonosNet network, is whenever changes are made, it can take some time for things to settle down and begin to work properly. I have occasionally seen posts here on the community where people have attached images of their 'matrix' which shows an 'undefined device' connected to their network. That to me is a clear indication that the user has switched off one or more Sonos products and moved them and things have not completely settled down.

Often it's a good thing to leave things for 15+ minutes I find, let things sort themselves out and then see how it goes.

Fingers x'd 'the bass' hopefully everything has now settled and your issue is resolved.
Same problem...system diagnostics 6126502

4c1dburn,
Whilst you are waiting for a reply back from Sonos Support, have you tried switching your wireless channel... If you are running on SonosNet (i.e. If you have one Sonos device cabled-in to your router) then change the SonosNet channel in advanced settings of the controller.

If you are using your home Wi-Fi (no Sonos device cabled-in) then change just the channel for the 2.4ghz band in your router settings.

There are a number of software scanners that you can get for different devices and operating systems that can scan your local airwaves to see what channels are being least used (or not in use)... Try to select one of those.

Also remember that interference can come from other devices nearby and perhaps it maybe worthwhile moving or turning things off that are near your Sonos Product(s) and see if that makes a difference.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
My diagnosis number is 6112608. Thank you.

I've reviewed your diagnostic, it shows that you're streaming directly from you iPhone, are you able to check if your phone switches to any other wifi network when the skipping happens if the problem happens using a Music Service, try to reproduce the issue and submit a diagnostic after it occurs. See if you can check your wifi settings, make sure the bandwidth is set to 20MHz, if you need assistance with the settings I suggest to give our support desk a ring, we'll do it for you.

...everything works perfectly fine.

Hopefully, this solved the issue! If not please just head back to this thread.

Your diagnostic shows the same as Merrav, Sonos is unable to keep the connection with the source. I would suggest the same as Merrav, if you need any help with the settings of your router, we're just a call away.
Badge +3
Few months ago I had a lot of problems with zones dropping. Now I have problems with music stuttering.
My matrix is also very red right now. While my setup did not change.
I use a BOOST connected to my router. Is it good to wire more speakers if possible?
Few months ago I had a lot of problems with zones dropping. Now I have problems with music stuttering.
My matrix is also very red right now. While my setup did not change.
I use a BOOST connected to my router. Is it good to wire more speakers if possible?

JohnF87,

It's possible that whilst your networks have not changed, that your local neighbours may have altered theirs.

As you are running on SonosNet .. I would do the following:

1. Go into the advanced settings/wireless setup of your Sonos controller software and ensure you reset/remove your home wifi settings. That will stop your speakers switching between SonosNet and your home network.

2. Next, do another scan of your local wifi signals using third party software and see what channels your neighbours are using and then go into your routers wifi and choose a 2.4ghz channel that is least used or not in use in your vicinity.

3. Make sure that your SonosNet channel is different to your own router wifi channel and also one that is least used by your neighbours.

4.Try streaming your music from one of the online streaming services for about 15 minutes or so and make sure there are no drop-outs.

If you play music from a local mobile device, then also follow the instructions mentioned by Ryan A. above.
Badge +3
No Mather which channel I choose. It stays a lot of red. Sometimes I have stuttering non stop. Sometimes I can play for hours with no problems. So that is why I ask. Is it possible to wire more speakers? Or will it make it worse?
No Mather which channel I choose. It stays a lot of red. Sometimes I have stuttering non stop. Sometimes I can play for hours with no problems. So that is why I ask. Is it possible to wire more speakers? Or will it make it worse?

It's perfectly fine to wire as many Sonos speakers/devices as you are able to, even though Sonos is a 'wireless' speaker system.

I have a friend who has a home with quite thick/solid walls and ceiling beams and he struggles to get his own routers wifi signal and has part-cabled his home and in other areas he uses wireless 'signal boosters' and an 'access point' to gain connection to some of his devices.

So Yes, you are fine to run a cable to them.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Cables are the perfect method from a communications point of view. It is just often inconvenient which is why we use wireless. If you could cable everything then you would have no wifi issues at all!!
Badge +3

It's perfectly fine to wire as many Sonos speakers/devices as you are able to, even though Sonos is a 'wireless' speaker system.

I have a friend who has a home with quite thick/solid walls and ceiling beams and he struggles to get his own routers wifi signal and has part-cabled his home and in other areas he uses wireless 'signal boosters' and an 'access point' to gain connection to some of his devices.

So Yes, you are fine to run a cable to them.

Cool, I have the option to cable one of my speakers on the first floor. This is the room with the most problems. Think this will help. I now have my stereo pair play 5 2nd gen cabled together. But I think one wired speaker to the router will help with the overall performance.
Having the same issue
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi BarreBelle,

There's wireless interference showing up on your Sonos system. This is causing communication errors between your components and is likely the cause of the audio interruptions. Please start by changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using, here's how. Try all 3 channels and see if any are better than the others.

If that doesn't help, take a look around your Sonos units for any third party device which uses wireless signals. Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless TVs and wireless printers. If any similar device is near or in between your Sonos speakers, try moving it or turning it off to see if that improves playback.
Same issues, my diagnostic is 6235790
Userlevel 2
Same problem here. Somehow playing from Groove is more sensitive than Spotify, for Groove skips every song midways and Spotify only once in a while.
My diagnostics number is 6238851.

I tried another less occupied WiFi channel (moving from 6 to 1), without any noticable changes.
I had the same problem and it bugged me for days. I closed the app, switched off our Router and speakers, waited 10 seconds or so, then switched it all back on. Problem solved. I had tried switching it off individually prior to this and it still skipped but the above fixed it. Hope that helps 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here. Somehow playing from Groove is more sensitive than Spotify, for Groove skips every song midways and Spotify only once in a while.
My diagnostics number is 6238851.

I tried another less occupied WiFi channel (moving from 6 to 1), without any noticable changes.

Hi Ftamminga,

There's some wireless interference showing up likely from a wireless router. It may help to look at your home router's settings and make sure it is not set to automatically switch its channel. Instead of using an automatic channel, set your router to channels 1, 6, or 11. Once you've done that set your Sonos system to one of the other 2 channels. This should reduce interference on your system and may help with the issue. Please let me know if you have any continuing troubles.