Answered

Sub Not Connecting

• 19 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a rack in my laundry room with sonos amp, and it powers 3rd party speakers outside in my gazebo. When I try to connect the Sub to the system, it is pretty unstable, and even when connected - it plays no sound.

However if I bring the Sub indoors closer to the laundry room, it works fine.

The internet wifi is very strong all around the house and backyard, so it is not struggling for internet.

I also have a range extender/router and internet run to the outside gazebo that powers my TV. When I try connecting the ethernet cable to the Sub - still no luck.

How can this be? Is the system not supposed to be completely seamless on wifi? And I imagine plugging in the Ethernet as a  backup would work, but no luck!

Help!

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 19 December 2023, 02:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi 

The sub connects to a 5Ghz channel on the Amp which is a very short signal length and may not reach the gazebo.

If you’re connecting an Ethernet cable to an extender that is incorrect usage. Ethernet needs to be connected to sub and main router.

The 'range extender/router' sounds like it could be creating an additional subnet too, which would clearly break things. 

If the Sub was wired back to the main router the Amp would also need a wired connection. 

Thanks guys.

So we took the feedback and ran the ethernet directly from inside the house to the outside space where the Sub will be - and all works perfect now.

We also had to disable the wifi on the amp, so its now a wired system.

Good learnings here Re: the distance between the Amp and the Sub. Thanks!