Answered

SONOS Playbar defaulting to MUSIC not TV

• 20 April 2024
  • 3 replies

I have connected my SONOS Playbar to my iMac via the former’s optical connection. I bluetooth (and have the option of hardwiring) the iMac output sound to a receiver that converts it into a digital optical signal that then inputs into the Playbar. I have the SONOS App both on my iPhone and my Desktop. The Playbar is configured and set up on both platforms. When selected to ‘TV’ the iMac sound output works on my Playbar, however after a while the SONOS App defaults to ‘Music’ and prevents the iMac sound output reaching the Playbar. Why does this happen and how can I stop it?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 April 2024, 12:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MstaggieM 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear that you are having an issue with playing your Mac’s audio through your Playbar.

If I understand you correctly, your Playbar is probably determining that the feed from the optical input has been inactive for a time, and the Sonos app is just showing you what would play if you tapped the Play button. Am I correct in thinking that music does not actually play?

The good news is that this should be pretty easy to address - just go to Settings » System » [room with Playbar] » under Home Theatre: TV Autoplay » Toggle ON. Although this won’t stop the app from showing you what music is in the Playbar’s queue, when the audio feed from the optical input starts up again, the Playbar will automatically play it.

It also means that you should never need to select TV Input in the app again.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this. You are correct that when the ‘Playbar’ defaults to Music no music is actually played. However on the Sonos App on my iPhone I do have ‘TV Autoplay’ selected but this makes no difference - after a few minutes the Playbar defaults back to ‘Music’ and stops the iMac sounds…I then have to manually choose ‘TV’ again… Is there a fix for this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MstaggieM 

In that case, I recommend that you unplug your Playbar from power for about 10 seconds or so.

Note that there is a 13 second period of silence required before Autoplay will trigger, but my guess is that you’ve probably been past that.

I hope this helps.