Skip to main content

Hi,

I’m new to Sonos and I bought a used Sonos Play:5(gen1) hoping to connect it to my Apple TV-4k using AirPlay. Both the Sonos Play:5(gen1) and Apple TV-4k are connected to the same wifi network, but I am unable to discover the Apple TV-4k as an ‘Airplay Compatible product’ using the Sonos S1 app on my iPhone. My Apple TV doesn't present the Sonos Play:5 as one of the audio output devices either.

Is there any way to pair Sonos Play:5(gen1) and Apple TV-4k? If not, what Sonos device would you recommend for streaming sound from Apple TV-4k as well as iPhones.

Thanks  a lot.

No. The PLAY:5 Gen 1 does not work with AirPlay at all. See this FAQ

Airplay didn't even exist when the Play:5 Gen 1 was designed.

Thank you for the clarification, @Airgetlam , and @jgatie . I had spent a lot of time trying to make it work.

What basic Sonos speaker would you recommend to stream sound from an Apple TV-4k and iPhone? Also, I’m currently only able to play music from a few supported streaming channels (Amazon Music, Sonos Radio, … ) using the Sonos S1 app on my iPhone. Would the new generation Sonos app allow me to play my own music, podcasts, … etc?

Honestly, the Sonos speakers that are designed for use with a TV set, the Ray, the Beam, and the Arc would be optimal, and any of the three would allow connection via AirPlay 2. 

I’m not a huge fan of using AirPlay 2 for TV watching with sound. There’s no guaranty of any lipsync involved. I think you’re much better off with a speaker designed for TV use. 

Thanks a lot, @Airgetlam . I had seen some used Sonos Beams to play around with.