Skip to main content

Hi,

I’m delivering some training this week in a location with only basic facilities (projector onto wall) and the presentation has some audio files.

Can I use the Sonos One I have at home as the audio for my pc laptop?

If that’s impossible/horrible I will also have an ipad/iphone with me, so would a kludge be to run the powerpoint on ios at the same time as from my pc laptop and just airplay the audio at the relevant time? There’s no video to worry about being in sync with, the relevant slides are audio-only. I’ve no adaptor to *just* run the whole thing from the ipad.

Hi.  I would forget this if I were you.  The One doesn’t work as a PC speaker,.  Airplay requires a network.  And doesn’t work on a Windows PC.  At the very best it will take up your time and add a significant risk to your delivering a smooth, professional presentation.

If you could use a Sonos Roam in your life then you could get one of those and use Bluetooth.  Or just a half-decent Bluetooth or wired speaker for the current training.

Thanks for answering - I didn’t explain clearly. There is wifi, and my airplay option was to use that to play the audio from my ipad at the relevant time if it’s impossible to get the One working with the pc laptop. There’s nothing in the slides which depend on audio being in sync with anything else, it’s simply a clip for people to listen to.

Hi.  I’m not sure if you didn’t explain clearly or I didn’t read carefully!  You would have to go through the process of adding the One to the available WiFi using the process set out here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Are you sure there is no web security on the WiFi that would prevent connecting the One?  Are you sure that the Wifi doesn’t have client isolation that would prevent the iPad communicating with the One?  Are you sure the network is robust?

All I can say is that I wouldn’t do it.  I’d rather buy a Bluetooth speaker and save myself the hassle.  But it’s your call.  I am very risk-averse and hassle-intolerant.

I’m with @John B, I would not risk this either. A cheap-ish Bluetooth speaker would likely be a far better option. In my own case I have a Sonos ‘Move’ already, so would just go with that linked via Bluetooth to the laptop… it can even be setup/tested at Home before taking it to any venue to do the presentation.

Good notes of caution from everyone noted - thanks