Answered

SONOS ALEXA Integration?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

267 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I can't wait for integration either. We just picked up an Alexa and we have a sonos, but the Alexa is already playing more music in my house just because it's so much easier for my wife to just ask it to play something. It drives me nuts because teh Sonos Play 5 is sitting right next to it, quiet, but she just wants the song to play.

So why are you posting about it in the "SONOS ALEXA Integration?" Not only are you a broken record, you are an off-topic one.

Posting that you don't want a feature in that feature discussion forum is on topic. Talk about broken freaking record.
I don't even want voice.
I want bbc iplayer radio, which voice might one day bring to sonos through google home. I can't see any other way it will ever happen. Again this might not add many sales to sonos, but might keep current UK customers from selling up.

So why are you posting about it in the "SONOS ALEXA Integration?" Not only are you a broken record, you are an off-topic one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I don't even want voice.
I want bbc iplayer radio, which voice might one day bring to sonos through google home. I can't see any other way it will ever happen. Again this might not add many sales to sonos, but might keep current UK customers from selling up.

Its not been out long. It will integrate with everything. Remember when the Sonos app first came out? It was a nightmare just setting up Sonos never mind trying to link to Spotify. Sonos app doesnt support other music streams yet either. Again without an internet connection sonos is rendered completely useless.

The Sonos app predated Spotify support, so yes it was quite difficult to connect to Spotify when the app first came out.

Sonos supports more music services than every other multi-room music system combined.

As stated many times, without an internet connect the whole purpose of an Alexa device is rendered useless. No internet connection equals no cloud connection equals no voice control.
Sonos got caught napping. Things moved on. Everyone and their mum offers a wifi speaker now. Sonos wanted to keep it a closed ecosystem to guarantee future sales, but the market has exploded and Sonos have changed track and are now trying to integrate whilst not becoming another casting speaker where they are overpriced.
A fine line to tread, I wish them well, but feel they may have left it too late.......blackberry phone anyone ;O))

*Yawn*

Do you ever play another tune? If Sonos has "left too late" please name the other multi-room music systems that support Alexa voice control.

You know alexa works with bluetooth right?

I.think you need to check things before posting

Alexa doesn't work at all without an internet connection. Sonos does, at least for local libraries. The fact Alexa/Echo uses Bluetooth does not mean it does not use the internet. It requires an IP (aka "an internet connection"). It has to connect to WiFi (aka "an internet connection") and finally, all voice control functions are processed in the cloud (aka "an internet connection").

It really seems you are the one who should check things before posting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos got caught napping. Things moved on. Everyone and their mum offers a wifi speaker now. Sonos wanted to keep it a closed ecosystem to guarantee future sales, but the market has exploded and Sonos have changed track and are now trying to integrate whilst not becoming another casting speaker where they are overpriced.
A fine line to tread, I wish them well, but feel they may have left it too late.......blackberry phone anyone ;O))
Echo is good, but not comparable to Sonos in sound quality. Bluetooth to headphones is a plus.. Also, you are tied to Amazon Music or Spotify - no access to your own music library. Voice control is useful but not the Holy Grail some people expect it to be.

Its not been out long. It will integrate with everything. Remember when the Sonos app first came out? It was a nightmare just setting up Sonos never mind trying to link to Spotify. Sonos app doesnt support other music streams yet either. Again without an internet connection sonos is rendered completely useless.

1) Alexa doesn't work without an internet connection
2) The significant majority of music listened to via Sonos is streamed - That doesn't work without internet.
3) Internet radio streams don't work without internet.

No, Alexa needs an internet connection for voice control. Perhaps you meant Echo, which can be used as a crappy Bluetooth speaker, but what's the point?
Echo is good, but not comparable to Sonos in sound quality. Bluetooth to headphones is a plus.. Also, you are tied to Amazon Music or Spotify - no access to your own music library. Voice control is useful but not the Holy Grail some people expect it to be.

2) The significant majority of music listened to via Sonos is streamed - That doesn't work without internet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I really think you don't understand how the Echo works. The Echo is rendered pretty useless without an internet connection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This person does actually...ive had my sonos for quite a few years thank you. Things have changed and Sonos hasnt. Whether the quality is better or not the fact is it should have built in bluetooth as standard. The only reason it doesnt is purely to tie you in to buy more Sonos products and speakers. If my internet went down i have basically a useless speaker. If had bought 5 sonos play 1 for example for each room they would be rendered useless if i didnt have wireless or internet fact. Not only that i need to buy a bridge just for one speaker!! Every other brand have Bluetooth to just play music ad actually the quality is pretty good unless youre a complete sound nerd. Have you actually heard the Big Amazon Echo? Its very good and I dont have to worry one bit about Sonos integration and actually the Sonos speaker arent actually that great they are quite bassy. Everyone is integrating with Alexa EVERYONE. But as I said we can move to other products. There is a legitimate reason people are bashing Sonos. They are now out of date people want instant On, not have to have lots of things just to play music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
With Sonos giving out Echo's like Candy today I assume we will see a lot of first time posters here bashing Sonos for working with Amazon to bring us Alexa integration (not in their timeframe wanted).

Poster above doesn't seem to appreciate what Sonos offers so maybe he is better with a Bluetooth speaker. And far superior to about any offering out there when it comes to multiroom (what it is meant for)

P.S. Sonos wireless is far superior to Bluetooth
There's a lot of other threads with basically the same question, although search functions on this forum are suspect. The gist is, they promised to have it out in 2017, and it's not ready yet. Generally speaking, Sonos doesn't post timelines for releases.There's a lot of other threads with basically the same question, although search functions on this forum are suspect. The gist is, they promised to have it out in 2017, and it's not ready yet. Generally speaking, Sonos doesn't post timelines for releases.

Therefore the fact is everyone is asking for it. The excuse we dont knows etc etc is just rubbish. When developing anything you have a clear roadmap of when its likely to be completed. This is a poor attitude from Sonos and like others tired of waiting for it or some news.
But my saviour has come Amazon Prime Day half price big echos so ill just get one of those and sell the Sonos. I dont need wireless to play music. I dont need bridges to play music etc etc Not having bluetooth in all Sonos is stupid. Its a pretty useless expensive speaker if you dont have wireless! Time to get rid tbh. Tired of hearing excuses or actually not hearing anything its arrogant for Sonos to think its OK.
I don't want to pause the music when I ask about the weather, and I certainly didn't want sonos to forget what was currently playing. This implementation sounds like you won't be able to have your sonos speakers respond as the voice of Alexa. Perfectly fine with me.

The music shouldn't pause but it would be nice if the volume dropped a little while Alexa is speaking so you can hear her.

I wonder if you are supposed to give the Echo and Sonos speaker in each room the same name or if they need to be unique? If I am at my desk I assume I can say call the Kitchen and that will activate the Kitchen Echo but if I say play some music in the Kitchen that this will cause the Kitchen Sonos speaker to play. Or maybe Amazon plans to let you tell one Echo to play music on another Echo at some point which would mean unique names all around; "Kitchen Echo" and "Kitchen Sonos"?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
as a new sonos owner , as others, we love the sound quality, just hoping the alexa integration come, everytime friends come to visit our home, and ask how does sonos integrates on echo dot, he..... he..he..... all I can say ... it's work in progress, but most of the time, I got feedback from friends, it will be awesome to have voice integrated on SONOS, as SONOS has great sounds........
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am sure I am biased, but I just can't be that impressed with HomePod. What I've read just doesn't give me a good feeling about it all.

I've searched a little about Airplay 2, but I don't see anything elaborating on what they consider to be multi-room. I'm sure you can play the same source in multiple rooms, but I see nothing about different sources. And yes, you could play music from Apple or whatever is on your phone, which sounds nice, but is really rather limited in practicality, especially when you consider what Sonos offers.

It will be a rather interesting Christmas retail season.

Apple is making a gamble. They are trying to target Sonos customers. By what I see on this forum, they are forever expecting more and better. But customers who experience the effortless setup with Sonos and migrate to Homepod will likely face the same issues but will Apple support the network issues they face? I can't get them to fix the issues I am facing at home in an Apple Store. Then they have to setup a support infra for the home network and third part products like routers et al. I use all the Apple products and know they are good but this is home!! Integration is key. Involvement is also key.

If Apple is prying on Sonos customers well good luck on that! I'm a new Sonos user and I bought it purely for its sound quality, wide range of products and integration with MultiRoom capabilities. Voice integration comes as a bonus for me if it does.I suppose most of the users here actually care about music hence they choose this brand to pay a premium. HomePod may be good but I'm sure it can't beat a Play 5 when it comes to sound quality, it also won't have the capacity to add-on and expand the system as we Sonos customers love to do. Personal opinion, I wouldn't jump the ship as Apple won't be able to replace my P5 pairs and Sub or the sound quality any soon 🆒
It would appear that some info is leaking out. See http://www.aftvnews.com/beta-testers-can-now-control-sonos-speakers-through-any-alexa-enabled-device/

This is good information, I think, regarding what functionality will be available. I was hoping that you could tie a specific echo to a specific zone. In that way, you wouldn't have to name the zone you want to play music in. If this article can be trusted, it does look like that will be implemented. You will have to add 'in the kitchen' to your command.

While a little disappointed about that, it is also implies that you will be able to use your echo without disturbing the music playing in the same room/zone. I don't want to pause the music when I ask about the weather, and I certainly didn't want sonos to forget what was currently playing. This implementation sounds like you won't be able to have your sonos speakers respond as the voice of Alexa. Perfectly fine with me.

What isn't clear is, will the music source be from what you have setup in Alexa or from your sources in the Sonos configuration? Hopefully the later. If you ask Alexa to play music without specifying a zone, will it just play on it's own speakers or ask you for a zone. If you want multiple zones, can you list them out? Can't wait to find out.
Just piling on. When the press release (almost a year ago) states "the companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017.", it leads you to believe early 2017. And with no announced date, I am growing skeptical myself. I've been a beta multiple times before, it doesn't take this long and I've heard no chatter from beta users. If the intent was to boost holiday sales with a something far far away, Amazon hit with me, Sonos did not. With 7 zones already, I am fully invested in Sonos but I did drop coin on a six pack of dots with the primary purpose to voice enable Sonos throughout my home. Will it ever really happen? Or do I need to rethink how I voice enable sound in my home?

Sonos, a normally tight-lipped outfit, has repeatedly stated the project is being worked on and is on track for release this year. They have never stated anything else, though some (including myself) assumed the development cycle was shorter. I was wrong, as were others.
The majority of sales of electronic devices happens once per year: the Christmas shopping season. You can be quite sure that the Sonos/Alexa integration will be finished, and most likely in its second or third iteration, by then.
Just piling on. When the press release (almost a year ago) states "the companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017.", it leads you to believe early 2017. And with no announced date, I am growing skeptical myself. I've been a beta multiple times before, it doesn't take this long and I've heard no chatter from beta users. If the intent was to boost holiday sales with a something far far away, Amazon hit with me, Sonos did not. With 7 zones already, I am fully invested in Sonos but I did drop coin on a six pack of dots with the primary purpose to voice enable Sonos throughout my home. Will it ever really happen? Or do I need to rethink how I voice enable sound in my home?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It would appear that some info is leaking out. See http://www.aftvnews.com/beta-testers-can-now-control-sonos-speakers-through-any-alexa-enabled-device/