Skip to main content

Hey Everyone

Sorry but i am a bit tech un savy  but.

i have a Sonos 5 that i have set up easily in my house with also two Sonos one,s.

I can not get the small 3,5 audio input in the back to accept a device. ( well it does but ...)

Whatever i plug in plays really really slow and muffled and volume really low.

what am i doing wrong.

I have plugged the out put earphone from my tv into it, plugged the cd player,  and my ipod and anderoid phone -  same result.

I am sure i must be doing something wrong?   The instructions say plug your device in with a 3,5 jacj and and other end into source with rca ( white and red outputs).

I know this is a stupid question  but perhaps i need a amp?   ( tv out   and phone no though?)

The 3.5 will not go in all the way either..  sits out 3-5mm from back of sonos-  is this normal?

please help and thankyou

Have you tried adjusting the Source Level under the Line-In settings in the Sonos app?

The 3.5mm jack should be inserted all of the way. How long is the plug?

yes i have tried all source levels.  It is a standard 3.5 audio cable.  I have tried the two pictured and a another one -  none go in all the way, it stops there and with only a little force will not go further..  i dont want to force.

My cd player is just a basic sony stand alone that i purchased to play my old cds.

https://store.sony.com.au/player-dvd/DVPSR370.html?CAWELAID=720019310000013872&gclid=CjwKCAiAjeSABhAPEiwAqfxURSSdo3fSPDUMPig6VDVe0NMJt086d9Vk1zVnDNEsysDKhmF6rsCwZhoC3tkQAvD_BwE

Have you used the 3.5mm to RCA cable in the top photo? How long is the plug?

yes it is 13-14mm

Putting a phone in with the cable in the bottom photo has same result-  low volume/  muffled, distorted with background hum coming out of sonos 5

Putting a phone in with the cable in the bottom photo has same result-  low volume/  muffled, distorted with background hum coming out of sonos 5

Make sure the 3.5mm jack is pushed all the way into the Five. It’s quite a tight fit and needs a push. When it’s properly inserted, there’s usually a noticeable ‘click’.

A 13-14mm jack should fit all the way into the line in port. Are you sure it won’t go in any further? Is there something stuck inside of the port?

i will check -  get back to you

thankyou,  my stupid!-   just needed that extra push.  All good now