System:

Beam (Gen 1)

2x - One SL (for surround sound)

ISP:

Google Fiber

Router:

Nest Wi-Fi Pro 6e AXE5400 Mesh Router

Problem:

Products sporadically do not to connect to home Wi-Fi during product/system set up. Products immediately fail to update. Error 1002.

Solution:

You need a mobile hotspot, second mobile/tablet device with sonos app, & computer with the sonos controller for desktop.

1. Configure mobile hot-spot as a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network and turn it on. Connect a mobile/tablet device with sonos app and a computer with the desktop controller to the hotspot
  2. Factory reset all sonos products (green light should be pulsing when done correctly)
  3. On the device with the sonos app, begin set-up of sonos products. Connect as many as possible. If the device fails to connect to the 2.4 GHz hot-spot, reconfigure the hotspot as a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network and attempt to connect again
  4. The goal is to have the devices show as part of your system, even if the device shows as “not registered.” If the device shows as “not registered,” attempt to connect to the system on the desktop controller. The controller should prompt you to register the device. You should be able to register the product on the on the device with the sonos app once this prompt is received.
  5. If your product fails to update, but the product shows in the system, attempt to connect to the system with the desktop controller. You should be prompted with an update. The update screen says it should take 3-5 minutes, but be patient as it can take up to an hour in my experience. Once the update is complete, you may be prompted to register the device. If so, try step 4.
  6. Once all of the products are updated, registered, and show in your system on the sonos app, turn the mobile hot-spot off. Connect your mobile/tablet device witht the sonos app to the Wi-Fi network you want the system to reside on. You will be prompted to update the network of your products. Follow the steps provided by the app.
  7. Your system should be working, connected to your home Wi-Fi network. Other devices with the sonos app on the same network should be able to discover the system.

Story:

I bought a Beam (Gen 1) and two One SLs for surround sound for my room in June and July 2024. I encountered two main problems. Initially, I managed to get my Beam and one of the One SLs to connect to my network, but the other One SL failed to update. In my attempts to troubleshoot this first issue, the other products also stopped connecting to my network.

I tried everything: power cycling my Sonos products, factory resetting them, rebooting and resetting my router, and even connecting the products directly to my router with an Ethernet cable. Nothing worked. 

I contacted Sonos support three times, each time waiting about an hour to reach an agent. Our troubleshooting sessions lasted multiple hours, but despite submitting diagnostic reports, support couldn't offer any new insights or solutions.

Sonos suggested I contact my internet service provider (ISP) to troubleshoot my network. I requested a list of steps from Sonos to try with the ISP, but even after going through these, nothing worked. My ISP mentioned that because I have a mesh system, it automatically chooses the best network (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) for each device, and there's no way to manually configure this.

Recalling a community post, I remembered that all Sonos products are capable of connecting to a 2.4 GHz network and noted a recent major update to the Sonos app. After researching further, I discovered that in May 2024, Sonos had revamped the app, removing lots of functionality and causing connection inconsistencies. The desktop controller, however, hadn't been updated, so I figured the app issues might not affect it.

Lacking access to a different router, I decided to use my mobile hotspot. I followed the steps I outlined in the solution above. Using my phone as a hotspot and my tablet with the Sonos app, I connected my Beam to a 2.4 GHz hotspot without issues. The first One SL connected to the 5 GHz network but didn't register. I used the desktop controller to prompt registration, which worked when I continued on the app.

The second One SL failed to update on any network but still appeared in my system as "not registered." This caused the app to enter an update loop where I could not access anything as “the system requires an update,” but when I attempted to update, it said, “system up to date,” and went back to the previous update required screen. I tried accessing my system on the desktop app, and I was prompted with an update. This update, despite the screen indicating it would take 2-3 minutes, actually took about an hour to complete. However, it worked, resolving the update loop and allowing me to register the product on the app.

With all products on the mobile hotspot, I turned it off, connected my tablet to my home Wi-Fi, and updated the system's network. Moving each product one at a time, I encountered no connection problems, and all products were working and updated. Finally, I added the two One SLs as surrounds for my Beam.

I'm unsure if Sonos products need a constant 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz connection or if mesh systems struggle with the setup process, but this method worked for me. I hope Sonos addresses these connection issues and restores the lost functionality in the new app. I also hope their support team becomes more knowledgeable about different router types to better assist the community.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!