Question

Small/Medium Bedroom: Playbar + Sub, or Play:5 + (2x)Play:1?

• 3 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi all, a bit new to Sonos, hoping someone can confirm my understanding and make recommendations. Just started testing the waters by getting a Play:1, and of course I like it, but was sad to figure out after my purchase that audio source options is limited. Specially, I listen to a lot of BBC Radio1 via their website, and I was under the impression I could connect my smart TV, but now realize I need to get other products to make either of these things possible. To listen to music coming from a web browser I'm pretty sure my options are A) Connect my TV to a Playbar via optical input and stream my laptop/iPad to the TV (via Apple TV), or 😎 Connect my laptop/iPad to a Play:5 via the audio jack (or kind of like A, connect TV to Play:5 via audio jack and stream iPad to TV).

I mostly listen to music, so would definitely like the clean bass from either a Play:5 or Sub. So it looks as though my options would be A) Playbar + Sub, or 😎 Play:5 (and could add 2x Play:1s to get true stereo sound). To clarify, I'll be setting up my bedroom first, which is roughly 11ft x 12ft (for most people this is probably small/medium, but having lived in Boston and NY, to me this is pretty big, lol). Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere before, I searched and couldn't find any similar discussion. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

For a small bedroom, the sound from a modern TV by itself may be adequate after making use of the sound options that they now usually offer.

Music needs are then met by either a single 1 or a stereo paired 1.

It may not be your use case, but I see huge benefits to being able to get TV sound into the Sonos ecosystem.

I have a playbar in my master bedroom and every morning I play the TV sound in my master bath as I move back and forth getting ready.

I wish i had something in my living room that would allow me to play the sound from sports on TV into my backyard. I may eventually get a playbase, but am having a hard time justifying the $700 cost.

I value the ability to port sound where ever in the house I happen to be.
For a small bedroom, the sound from a modern TV by itself may be adequate after making use of the sound options that they now usually offer.

Music needs are then met by either a single 1 or a stereo paired 1.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Manny, it's okay, after a while I assumed it's probably best to just buy and test out myself, and can probably sell off at a decent price if I change my mind. So I ended up changing plans again and getting a Playbar and two Play:1s. The experience thus far has been good. Placing the Play:1s on the nightstands really draws out their bass and is sufficient for my needs. Actually I would be a little worried about putting a Sub in a small bedroom since I live in an apartment complex and more bass might disturb neighbors. For a living room I can see that Playbar+Play:1s+Sub it is probably ideal. For a small bedroom, however, I think Sonos has room to offer more appropriate products.

To be specific, for TV use, I really do see the huge benefit of having the central, front speaker and two surrounds. My only gripe is the Playbar is HUGE (as well as heavy and expensive). For a large living room, it is worth it, but for small bedroom, pretty unnecessary. I wish you offered a smaller Playbar with similar connectivity...you offer your standard speakers in 3 sizes, could you offer your Playbar in 2 sizes? For music use, the Playbar doesn't really diversify the sound, it just adds more of it. If I was only interested in music, I'd be sufficiently happy with the two Play:1s. I'd just need a way to link the TV...I know the Connect is an option, but again, expensive (and a little big) for what it does. Ideally there'd be something small to hook up the back of the TV and/or work with the major TV manufacturers to simply make apps for the TVs to enable connectivity.

Alright, a little verbose, but my two main requests/recommendations is 1) Offer a smaller Playbar, and 2) Include a web browser in the Sonos app to stream of other audio sources.

Thanks,
Hello Russlush3, sorry about the delay in response. Were you able to find an appropriate solution for your bedroom's audio? It you're a TV/movie fan, the PLAYBAR and SUB can give you more flexibility to use with the TV, as the RCA port on the PLAY:5 only passes a stereo signal. Additionally, you can add a pair of PLAY:1s for a full surround sound setup.