Skip to main content

I have 5 Sonos speakers. I simply restarted my router and now all my speakers are gone. Can Sonos explain this and not blame the user, ISP or router manufacturer. Rather than spend half an hour reconnecting all of them many that are physically out of reach can Sonos explain their incredibly poor performance? If there’s a technical bypass please let me know. Otherwise I tell every person to run from this brand for there technical ineptitude and lack of reliability. 

so tired of going thru this process every time the router gets reset 

Sonos can’t fix your network for you. 

The easiest solution for you to resolve most of your issues would be to wire at least one Sonos speaker to your router with an Ethernet cable. This puts the Sonos devices on their own ‘network’, rather than having them attempt to connect to yours. 

This isn’t a silver bullet, however, as any network needs both IP addresses from your router, and is a radio signal, subject to potential interference from many sources, both inside your home, and external as well. You may want to read the wifi interference FAQ

If you’re unable to maintain a sufficient network, I’d certainly agree that Sonos is not a good solution, as it is a networked system. 

Literally any random $40 Chinese device will work fine but Sonos has these little delicate devices that only work on one specific type of network they have running in their test lab.  Interesting!

Login to your router. Look at the DHCP table: are your Sonos devices listed there? (most probably they are). Is your phone listed there? (it probably is). Check the frequencies each device is using to connect to your router (2.4 or 5). Chances are very good that your phone is using 5 and your speakers 2.4. If this is true, get a better router. One that passes data correctly between 2.4 and 5GHz devices, as yours evidently does not.

Literally any random $40 Chinese device will work fine but Sonos has these little delicate devices that only work on one specific type of network they have running in their test lab.  Interesting!

SONOS requires a more competent network than those $40 “things”. SONOS units must be able to  simultaneously converse with each other, the controllers, and the external world.

Not true at all.  The vast majority of folks run Sonos just fine, others need a few small tweaks.  So the question is - Are you here for hyperbolic whining, or do you wish to get your Sonos running right?

so tired of going thru this process every time the router gets reset 

Out of curiosity:

What did you do on the previous occasions? 

Why do you need to keep resetting your router?