Answered

ROAM connects to iPhone via bluetooth but doesn't appear as device in music

I’m traveling with my ROAM, so not on my home wifi-network (where all my other sonos devices are connecfed;  all other devices show in Sonos app on my phone, but wilth an error as they are not on the wifi where I’m at)

ROAM is connected on iPhone via bluetooth, but the device is never shown as a device option in the music apps so I can’t get the music to play through the ROAM.

How do I get the music being streamed on my iPhone (iOS 15.5)

No clue what firmware/version the ROAM is on -- have never had it connected to a wifi:  only time I ever try to make it work I’m away from home and can’t figure out if changing the network in my Sonos app will impact the home-based devices (that my husband is using).

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 July 2022, 14:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Has ROAM ever worked at home? You should be able to pair your phone with ROAM and play music directly from the phone without using the SONOS controller App or WiFi at the remote location..

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I would say the same as above. Have you set up the Roam, at home on your wifi and added it to your home system? I took my Roam away the other week and just linked it to my phone via bluetooth and streamed music from my phone directly to the Roam. No need for the app or wifi.

So for example, as you are an apple user, just open apple music on your phone and start playing. It should just come through the Roam instead of your phone speakers if linked via bluetooth

Has ROAM ever worked at home? You should be able to pair your phone with ROAM and play music directly from the phone without using the SONOS controller App or WiFi at the remote location..

no - I’ve never set it up on home system (have plenty of devices;  Roam is in my travel kit.

I can see ROAM is bluetooth-paired to my phone;  i can play music on my phone.  But in the music apps (MixCloud, SirisuXM) ROAM is not one of the “other devices” offered.

no - I’ve never set it up on home system (have plenty of devices;  Roam is in my travel kit.

I can see ROAM is bluetooth-paired to my phone;  i can play music on my phone.  But in the music apps (MixCloud, SirisuXM) ROAM is not one of the “other devices” offered.

Once the Roam is Bluetooth paired to the iPhone, the phones audio output becomes redirected to the Roam. You shouldn’t have to select anything, but it will be shown as linked in the device list (where you see Airplay devices) but with a Bluetooth icon showing the Roam as connected and in use. See screenshot attached.

Simply play the music audio on the idevice  and it should output to the Roam (check that the audio output is not muted, or set to a low volume) if the audio is playing on the phone instead, then it’s quite probably not BT paired.

that’s what’s not working -- music won’t play on the ROAM

ROAM IS paired
music plays on iPhone but not on paired ROAM

music-services have “other devices” option but the paired ROAM is never in the list

that’s what’s not working -- music won’t play on the ROAM

ROAM IS paired
music plays on iPhone but not on paired ROAM

music-services have “other devices” option but the paired ROAM is never in the list

Perhaps some screenshots from your system Bluetooth list and the iOS connected devices list will help, just to see what you’re seeing. Also, what is the front/top status LED showing on the Roam just above the Sonos logo? 

Just for info, I’ve tested my own two Roams here and both are working fine with the latest Sonos software and each pair/play over BT with my iPhone and iPad, so perhaps it’s a fault with the mobile.

Have you tried deleting the BT pairing and setting it up again, or (if you have one available) maybe try another mobile/tablet etc. paired to the Roam BT RX instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I thought ROAM needed to be set up as a ‘normal' Sonos speaker in the App before it could be used as a Bluetooth speaker?

I thought ROAM needed to be set up as a ‘normal' Sonos speaker in the App before it could be used as a Bluetooth speaker?

That’s correct, I don’t think the Roam has been setup/registered either, but it’s also not possible to BT pair it, unless it has been setup and OP insists they have it BT paired - hence why I asked about seeing screenshots and what it’s status LED is showing.

Post boot-up on a non-setup Roam the LED flashes green, but is a steady blue colour when BT paired. It can easily be setup however when away from Home, if there is access to a ‘separate’ mobile WiFi hotspot etc.

This is my thought too. ROAM is not a generic Bluetooth speaker. If ROAM has not been formally setup as part of a SONOS system, I don’t know if it will be fully functional. Certainly, it will not have the latest firmware.

This is my thought too. ROAM is not a generic Bluetooth speaker. If ROAM has not been formally setup as part of a SONOS system, I don’t know if it will be fully functional. Certainly, it will not have the latest firmware.

I’m sure a user can’t even activate Bluetooth pairing mode on a Roam that hasn’t been setup. All the rear button will do is power the device ON/OFF - but OP does say their "ROAM IS paired”… but perhaps they will post the screenshots requested and describe what the status LED is doing.

I will happily try to guide them through setup/registration if they can get their hands on a separate mobile hotspot that provides internet access, as that’s how my young grandson setup his Roam whilst camping in a field.

apparently one CAN pair it via Bluetooth when it’s not set up via the SONOS app.

Maybe that’s really my question:  can I switch the wifi my app is config’d with (my home wifi that all my other devices are synced to AND being used on) to set-up the ROAM without impacting the home-based devices and their operations?

OR - to avoid shutting down the home systems (which will negatively impact my husband’s ability to watch TV and my quality of life for the duration) do I need to wait until back home to set up ROAM on my normal wifi so it’s part of my SONOS app system?

The  Roam must initially be set up as part of a Sonos system before it can be used as a Bluetooth speaker. It can also then connect to another WiFi network.

But if you have just taken it out the box and tried to use it as a Bluetooth speaker,  that is where you went wrong. 

apparently one CAN pair it via Bluetooth when it’s not set up via the SONOS app.

I’ve just factory reset my Roam here and it doesn’t let me go into BT pairing mode, so that’s odd? Maybe it’s an older firmware, but I’ve never come across being able to do this, personally speaking.

Maybe that’s really my question:  can I switch the wifi my app is config’d with (my home wifi that all my other devices are synced to AND being used on) to set-up the ROAM without impacting the home-based devices and their operations?

OR - to avoid shutting down the home systems (which will negatively impact my husband’s ability to watch TV and my quality of life for the duration) do I need to wait until back home to set up ROAM on my normal wifi so it’s part of my SONOS app system?

You can set a (reset) Roam up quickly by doing it this way …

• Reset the controller App, just for now, whilst you’re away from Home. (That’s done via ‘Settings/App Preferences’).
  • Connect your mobile device to a nearby accessible WiFi signal w/internet. So, just as an example, you could use a mobile WiFi hotspot from another phone that has mobile internet access 3G/4G etc. 
  • Open the Sonos App and click past the opening screens and ‘accept the T&C’s’ - Choose to create a ‘new’ system and go onto setup the Roam. When done, the App is finished with, just reset it again. When setting up BTW, use the same email/credentials as for logging into your own Home Sonos system, or the login you’re using to access this forum.
  • Now disconnect your mobile from the Wifi hotspot and BT pair your mobile to your Roam as outlined in this link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4989 and it will play the audio from the paired BT device.
  • On return Home, you simply connect your reset Sonos App back to the ‘existing’ Sonos System that you have there and if it suits, you can go onto reset/add your Roam to the Home system too, just like you would add any other new, or reset, Sonos device.

So it’s quite simple to do and I hope those few steps assist you to get the Roam up and running as a BT speaker until you manage to return Home.

To pick up a couple of specific comments you made, the Roam need have no impact on your other speakers and certainly doesn't require shutting down your home network!

Most of the muddled thinking about the Roam in posts on this Forum arises from not grasping the difference between being connected to a WiFi network and being part of a Sonos system that is on that network.

Once a ROAM has been properly setup as part of a SONOS system, any system, the Bluetooth pairing is a deal directly between the Bluetooth device and ROAM. In the case we are discussing here, there will be no coupling between the home SONOS system and the remote ROAM. And, the remote ROAM does not need WiFi or a SONOS controller (phone/pad needs WiFi for controller operation) while playing Bluetooth. 

I’ve not had issues at all until we both upgraded to IPhone 13.   Roam was offline.  I did a factory reset.  Nada.  I did a factory reset and closed the Sonos app.  It appeared!   But only the Roam appeared.  Went through the steps, and it was there…. But none of my other speakers on the network were there.  Hard closed the app and WALLA! The system was back, sans the Roam. Tried the same multiple times.  It’s either I choose the Roam as my only speaker, or choose my multi $1000s) system.  

Really Sonos?  It’s meant to be this difficult? And Roam can’t be plugged into the Network (can’t find my product help…smh). And yes, I have 3 speakers plugged in, cause Wireless is too sketchy with you,

I was so close to buying another Roam and another PlayOne…. Calling it now….  No more purchases…have friends who have also moved to Bose for travel Bluetooth and can’t be bothered with Sonos’ lame excuses 

Went through the steps, and it was there…. But none of my other speakers on the network were there.  

This is nearly always the result of the user setting up the Roam as a separate system by mistake, instead of adding it to the existing system.  What were ‘the steps’ that you went through?

The fact that when you closed the app and went back into it the original 3 were there but not the Roam fits with this explanation.  The fact that you can now get only one or the other makes it seem like a racing certainty.

The factory resets were unnecessary.  In fact, you took the Roam from being ‘offline’ to being ‘no longer part of the system’ by factory resetting, and so actually created the problem that you have subsequently made a hash of resolving.

The Roam being offline was unquestionably completely coincidental to upgrade in controller devices and would probably have been resolved by powering the Roam off and on.

I may be wrong, and i apologise if so, but this looks very much like user error to me.  In fact, ‘user error’ doesn’t seem to do it justice.  ‘Complete user ****-up’ captures it better, I feel.

PS..  What has your post got to do with this thread anyway?

Sorry, I went through every step of on/off, etc a dozen times before I resorted to a factory reset.  I’m not lying. At least a dozen times.  And interestingly, it would still play what the rest of the system was playing,  but still showed as “offline” before I did anything.  I just couldn’t adjust it, nor play just it.

And yea, always blame the user   That really helps customer loyalty   I even read ALL the forums and it points to a crappy roll out.  It’s not the first time Sonos has done this   I guess I should count myself lucky that we had a good 3 year run of good connections   Lord knows it was a $hit$how based on the user forums I’ve read on Roam   

Not my first time at the Sonos rodeo.  

so, a factory reset is like buying a new Roam   Where is the “ease of set up”   The damn thing should be completely virginal now and “just connect” like it did the first time.  So tell me, other than blaming me, what are my next steps? It’s no longer on my Network.  So why can’t this beautiful factory reset product connect!!??

Nice solve score John, so

help me solve this?

OK. I apologise for my tone, but that was prompted by your tone. But you were frustrated, so....

I am assuming that your existing system is on S2. I am also assumong that you have all your Sonos connecting to WiFi, none wired.

Please say if not the case. 

Given where we are now, it is actually best if you reset the Roam, then power it off again. 

I suggest you then try the following.

1. Reset the controller app. (Settings, App preferences, Reset app)

2  Choose to connect to existing system. Hopefully you can then see and use the original speakers.

3. Power on the Roam just a metre or two from your router and go to Settings,  System,  Add Product, and follow the prompts.

If that works, great. If not please come back with any error messages etc

Also, note that there are specific instructions for resetting Sonos portable speakers

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US