Reduce idle consumption energy level (currently around 5W)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

121 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
So Stefan, do you advocate having them off totally or as low a power standby as possible. My experience with off totally, which becomes an inconvenience, is that most people give up on it so leave it on . How many people actually switch off their TV's at the socket, their satellite receivers etc.

@piashaw
This depends on the comfort. For my tv I'm using the Ansmann zero watt outlet with infrared receiver:
http://www.amazon.de/Ansmann-5024073-AES2-IP-Energiesparende-Steckdose/dp/B00386RXS0

This is much more comfortable and looks nicer then a 6-outlet with a glowing switch positioned on the ground.
So Stefan, do you advocate having them off totally or as low a power standby as possible. My experience with off totally, which becomes an inconvenience, is that most people give up on it so leave it on . How many people actually switch off their TV's at the socket, their satellite receivers etc.

Thanks Marc. Nice system by the look of it. Great for a TV/ HiFi where I always have a remote.
Userlevel 2
So far there are following suggested features to reduce idle energy consumption:

-- Stand-by or listen-only mode during idle to maintain network connection and wake up when necessary.

-- Programmable timer built into firmware to shut down and power up any player at specific times programmed by users.

-- Mesh network connections must be maintained in wireless network for music distribution from centralised media depositories (NAS or computer).

-- When network module is in operation to maintain wireless network connection for music distribution, all digital amplifiers can be powered down when they are not in use.

To cater to all new/old models of player without resorting to change in hardware, I suppose the least intrusive and cheapest way of implementing the features is to move all networking functionalities from all players to the bridges. Namely all players connect only to bridges but not other players to establish connections within wireless network. Few bridges form a backbone wireless network to route music data and wake-up alerts to the players. These bridges can be powered on all the time but not the players, one of the bridges is connected to router for Internet access through Ethernet link. Obviously bridge consume far less energy than player. Players must be positioned carefully for good sound reproduction but not the bridges, thus ensure better signal transmission and network coverage.

So all hardwares can be maintained as before except firmwares for bridge and player must be updated to support extra power saving features. Bridge should be bundled with every purchase of players as it is no longer optional item. Same as before, few players can share a single bridge.

I must admit I already bought some remout outlets when I ordered my Sonos system. Thus, I was totally aware of the idle power consumption issue and still would prefer to see a solution to it. However, what makes Sonos unique to me is the easiness of control without long startup times, without the need to switch on and off and having to wait for longer time periods, without the need  for a separate remote control....

Hence, I have not yet installed my remote outlets and presumably will never do. I'd prefer to have an "internal" solution to the idle consumption issue which is seamlessly integrated into the system. Any only external workround will make Sonos lose a lot of its attraction, I fear - in that case I'd rather live with the additional energy consumption. 
Userlevel 1
Badge
Inspired by this post: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?p=201482#post201482 If the Sonos bridge does not obtain an ip or the bridge is offline for 30 minutes then the other Sonos will go to "deepsleep".
reading your post I understood how to fix the issue with mine... I constantly hear idle hisses, I just unplugged the ethernet port and they noise was gone... Sonos has to rethink their standby/idle approach with more clever timeouts!
Userlevel 1
So far there are following suggested features to reduce idle energy consumption:

-- Stand-by or listen-only mode during idle to maintain network connection and wake up when necessary.

-- Programmable timer built into firmware to shut down and power up any player at specific times programmed by users.

-- Mesh network connections must be maintained in wireless network for music distribution from centralised media depositories (NAS or computer).

-- When network module is in operation to maintain wireless network connection for music distribution, all digital amplifiers can be powered down when they are not in use.

To cater to all new/old models of player without resorting to change in hardware, I suppose the least intrusive and cheapest way of implementing the features is to move all networking functionalities from all players to the bridges. Namely all players connect only to bridges but not other players to establish connections within wireless network. Few bridges form a backbone wireless network to route music data and wake-up alerts to the players. These bridges can be powered on all the time but not the players, one of the bridges is connected to router for Internet access through Ethernet link. Obviously bridge consume far less energy than player. Players must be positioned carefully for good sound reproduction but not the bridges, thus ensure better signal transmission and network coverage.

So all hardwares can be maintained as before except firmwares for bridge and player must be updated to support extra power saving features. Bridge should be bundled with every purchase of players as it is no longer optional item. Same as before, few players can share a single bridge.

I should elaborate my points further to show complete picture:

-- I am well aware of using external timer to power up and shut down Sonos system as right now I am using Belkin WeMo Switch to achieve that with iPhone app through home wireless network and even Internet as well (when I am away from home).

-- When a device is powered down, low-power timer circuit within the device is still kept alive to wake up the device according to programmed schedule. You should be able to achieve the same thing on any Mac model through programmed schedule under Energy Saver of System Preferences, namely the Mac will power up and shut down by itself without any intervention.

-- Existing mesh network connectivity of all Sonos media players is transferred from the players to the bridges. Mesh connected network among players is changed to star connected network where all bridges form hubs (centres) of the stars with all bridges connected wirelessly together and one of them is connected to router through Ethernet link.

-- Obviously bridge consumes far less energy than player even when it is kept powered up all the time. Scheduled shutdown and power-up of players are controlled by the bridges rather than the players. Any player only have to listen passively to one of the bridges and executes received commands.

-- Distribution of music data wirelessly is handled entirely by the bridges but not the players anymore and the bridges serve as controllers to players at the same time for scheduled power-up/shutdown.

All these features should be within reach of Sonos developers.
I find it hard to believe that in this day and age of energy conservation where devices are often required to have standby modes that the Sonos speakers are on all the time. For something so technology aware, so ahead of the marketplace, and so expensive, wouldn't you have thought that a standby mode was required? All my technology equipment round the house has one from the TVs to the YouView to the PlayStation.

I'm pulling out the power on all the devices whenever they aren't in use, including the Bridge. However it can't really be that hard to implement a timed standby mode that drops the components into a listen mode where they wait for a signal from the apps or the Bridge, which waits solely for the app, to kick into life.

Honestly this omission shocked me when I set-up my first two Sonos units the other day. In fact this, coupled with two other issues I have, are making me consider using my 28 day return period.
Same concern. I see this last post was 5 months ago. Any updates or future software roadmap plans? I hope this big pain won't require us to update any hardware in future... Tim
Why no response from SONOS on this very urgent problem or even much better why still wait for a good solution
To Sonos Official people here, I hope you are aware that entertainment hardware that is not in use, has to reduce their idle energy level by 2014 within the EU. If the criteria are not met the units can not be sold anymore and lose the CE certification.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The major point behind energy consumption of Sonos devices is not their "idle" consumption. They are not standalone device, they need to listen to the network and thus need to power the wireless antennas or, for those wise enough to avoid the wireless functionality, the ethernet cards.

The major point it that Sonos devices force users to keep them on, because of their inability to resume previous operations. It's even recommended by Sonos customer support not to turn them off!
It doesn't take a genius to understand that the standby feature is to be avoided by using hard buttons, not only to save power consumption, but to avoid electrical failures and fire.

Hopefully CE laws will force Sonos to solve this issue, one way or another.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Well actually I found lately that the hiss comes from the ethernet port itself... as loud as if it was a 128 port professional switch! I wonder what poor components Sonos uses...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Additionally I believe there are features available. At least for LAN, you could consider WOL.
If it takes 30s more to power up, you can leave the choice to the consumer in the menu. For Wireless I agree it might be a little bit more difficult and would require some hardware adjustments...
Similarly I would really like to be able to disable wireless when the device is connected by LAN. I understand that it still broadcasts regularily wirelessly the status - which I think is unnecessary if you don't have the remote. I would like to be able to switch this off when not in use..
Any news on this item yet?
I have the same question. Just bought two speakers today and noticed the heat right away.
I have reduced the idle power consumption of my play:5 to about 5 watts by turning off the WiFi link. I have found the instructions at http://bsteiner.info/articles/disabling-sonos-wifi.
Userlevel 1
Come on Sonos, please give us an answer on this topic for the sake of the environment and power bills.
I think at least interested users should be able to switch off their Sonos devices based on a planning of their choice. With no risk of damaging their Sonos devices because of frequently plugging/unplugging them.
This most definately should be implemented
Hello. I had the same issue with my old Marantz Wave system - which is now being replaced by Sonos. It consumed about 60W when "idle".

Easiest and good working was to purchase remote operated sockets which I paired so it worked to wake up and put to sleep all the devices (It is possible to set up for like 6 channels so you can group the devices as you like). Worked perfectly, did no harm to the big Marantz receiver, should not harm sonos either.
I find it hard to believe that in this day and age of energy conservation where devices are often required to have standby modes that the Sonos speakers are on all the time. For something so technology aware, so ahead of the marketplace, and so expensive, wouldn't you have thought that a standby mode was required? All my technology equipment round the house has one from the TVs to the YouView to the PlayStation.

I'm pulling out the power on all the devices whenever they aren't in use, including the Bridge. However it can't really be that hard to implement a timed standby mode that drops the components into a listen mode where they wait for a signal from the apps or the Bridge, which waits solely for the app, to kick into life.

Honestly this omission shocked me when I set-up my first two Sonos units the other day. In fact this, coupled with two other issues I have, are making me consider using my 28 day return period.

I love the sound and simplicity is sonos but would have returned mine if I'd have realised there is no real standby!
+1 to add a sleep mode in next update. 

I am sure consumer has some patience to let system come up. we are anyway not talking about home automation here.
Badge
I have just started dow the Sonos road with two Play:1s plus Bridge. Upon googling "sonos play:1 sleep" and found this topic. I can hardly believe they don't have a minimal power consumption sleep mode. 😞
The problem with this thread is that everyone is starting from the incorrect assumption that a player that is not actively playing music does not need to consume power or only needs enough to be able to be awakened when it is called on to play again. This is completely 
I disagree.

I for one do not have my system playing 24/7, so they do not need to be actively keeping the mesh at full power.

No reason for them not to go into a low power listening mode and then activate when the mesh is needed.

Sonos provide ethernet connections which can be used, but still no way of turning off the wireless, so the system is capable of running WITHOUT wireless (if it could be shut off easily).

You see many systems capable of lowering their wireless power output when not needed. So why not Sonos?

Why have my system on when the place is empty? Shops use sonos and are not open 24/7.

People DO like to turn off wireless at set times. I personally sleep better with wireless off. Maybe it makes no difference to you, however I can easily switch off the wireless on my router at set times. In addition I have other items which switch off using internal timers. Do keep the RTC and processor in a low powered state to then restart the system later on requires practically no power.

So respectfully, I believe there IS a very valid requirement for low power and that people have NOT chosen the wrong product.
Userlevel 2
The problem with this thread is that everyone is starting from the incorrect assumption that a player that is not actively playing music does not need to consume power or only needs enough to be able to be awakened when it is called on to play again. This is completely 
To be honest: I somehow agree and disagree with both postings above. 

I think anyone who is willing to buy a Sonos system should be aware of the interaction between the players and the SonosNet system - and it's obvious that such system requires more power than a pure stand-by mode of a stand-alone player. At least I was aware of that and the related power consumption before buying my Sonos players (and in the meantime I have 2 Play:5, 3 Play:3, 1 Play:1 and a SUB). 

On the other hand I could imagine that a timer to define a time interval where all players fall asleep and wake up automatically afterwards would be in line with the Sonos concept and could reduce power consumption significantly. 
I agree
The problem with this thread is that everyone is starting from the incorrect assumption that a player that is not actively playing music does not need to consume power or only needs enough to be able to be awakened when it is called on to play again. This is completely wrong because the players also need to actively be working as relays and extenders to the SonosNet wireless mesh at ALL times whether they are playing or not. If you go around shutting the power off of idle units you will disrupt the mesh and probably see poor performance on the remaining units you are trying to play music on.

It is time to admit that the power reduction seen when the amplifier section goes into to idle is the correct level of power savings for a full-time wireless network device of this type and if people are claiming that they don't use the wireless mesh in their system then the wasted energy is the result of them choosing the wrong product for their application and not from any defect in the product design.

however much I like the kit I also agree that  I may have bought the wrong product as other similar systems do nit have the same issue.