Question About Playbar Night Mode

• 13 May 2018
  • 3 replies

I'm considering adding a Playbar to replace my current soundbar. But the one big issue I have with the Bose Solo is with the feature I bought it for. You can turn on a "Dialog" mode which is supposed to make speech easier to hear. It does semi-fair job but loud sounds are still pretty loud and quiet talk is still quiet talk.

What I'm looking to know from owners is this. I want to be able to set a reasonable listening volume in the evenings and have the Playbar not get too loud and those quiets whispers you'll actually be able to hear. Will it do that? Right now I have to hang tight to my remote so that when the action pumps I have to crank it down, when the dialog starts up I have to crank it up, then down, then up. I'm looking for a solution to that.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
does anyone know what exactly is changed? Before SW Version 9 i dont need this function but since Version 9 the volume balance has changed dramatically and i can only watch DD5.1 with night mode on.
compared to off mode the whole sound sounds a bit worser and Bass needs to be adjusted in EQ.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Not sure about the Playbar but the Playbase has both a Night mode that levels volume and a Dialog mode to enhance speech. They do seem to have an effect. Perhaps both it what you want if the Playbar also has both.
Frankly, it depends on two things. First, the quality of the mixing of audio of the show you’re watching, and second, the way your ears work. I can tenn you that I have the issue only about 1% of the time, but your experience might be different.

The good thing is that if you purchase the PLAYBAR from Sonos, or some other authorized dealer, you have a return period if you find it not to your liking. I’d bet you won’t return it, but I don’t know what you watch, or how you hear.