Question

Playbar and headphones

• 7 June 2016
  • 4 replies

My Samsung TV works over a Sonos Soundbar. When my kids watch TV I do not want to need to listen to that brainless teenage stuff, so was thinking of buying a headset that would get ver them the sound and me my evening back. I see that the soundbar has its WiFi identifier but how do I make it happen with the preferably wireless headset ?
Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Thanks for your suggestion - that could work!
Badge
I had a similar problem and thought I'd post my solution in case its of help to anyone else in future.
I have a Samsung 49KS8000 TV and a Sonos playbar. My wife likes to use headphones as she has lost hearing in one ear.
So I needed to send audio to both the playbar and a pair of bluetooth headphones.

The TV is set to send sound out via the optical output (encoded in Dolby Digital) to the Sonos playbar.

I ordered the following components from Amazon (I'm sure there are tons of alternatives):
1. LOKEKE Toslink Digital Optical Audio Splitter Adapter 1 in 2 Out (£10)
2. Bluetooth Transmitter Bluetooth Receiver 2 in 1 Bluetooth Adapter Optical Toslink 3.5mm Aux RCA Wireless Audio Adapter with APTX Low Latency Bluetooth (£22)
3. ARAS Digital Audio Decoder, Converts Coaxial/Toslink digital audio signals to analog L/R RCA Audio Outputs,Support Dolby Digital & DTS (£15)
4. A good pair of bluetooth headphones. I went with some iDeaUSA Bluetooth Headphones (£46)

I was hoping to get away with just item 2 above; it takes in optical audio, has an optical audio out (which I hoped it would just pass through) and it transmits bluetooth. But in the end I plugged item 1 into the audio out from the TV (so splitting the optical output to 2 ports). One port goes straight to the Sonos as before. The other goes into item 3. This decodes the optical audio (including dolby digital, it wasn't easy to find a small cheap device to do this) and then passes the analog audio into the bluetooth transmitter.
I paired the bluetooth transmitter with the headphones and there you go. Not cheap but it works pretty well. There is a bit of noise from the decoder I think but Mrs Read is fine with that. Audio delay is very minimal.
Item 1 is passive. Items 2 and 3 are usb powered so I use the ports on the tv to power them.

Hope thats of use to someone 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
You cannot use headphones with the PlayBar (or any Sonos equipment).

However, you can possibly use headphones directly from your TV.
Would you care to have another go at explaining what you are trying to achieve, please?