Skip to main content

I was forced to change internet providers and received a new router. My ONE connects just fine, but the Play:3 says it cannot connect to the WiFi, and that I should check the password.

Now I know that Play:3 doesn't work on 5GHz, so I set up a band steering rule in my router, forcing it to connect to the Play:3 on 2.4GHz. I even did the same for the ONE and my phone (at least temporarily) to make 100% sure everything will be on the same network/frequency during set-up. To no avail.

My old router was also set to hybrid 2.5/5GHz and the Sonos products worked without issue. Am at my wits' end here. I'd really like to avoid operating separate 2.4 and 5GHz networks.

A recent update provided 5GHz support for the Play:3.

Check your WiFi settings meet the Sonos system requirements

What router?

What router?

“Vodafone Station”. Can’t find a spec sheet in English, unfortunately, but it’s a state-of-the-art router capable of Mesh and WiFi6.

What router?

“Vodafone Station”. Can’t find a spec sheet in English, unfortunately, but it’s a state-of-the-art router capable of Mesh and WiFi6.

Its not on the “known broken routers” list, so that’s good. Incompatible network hardware | Sonos

English, not terribly useful.

WiFi “Automatic” channel assignment is not the best option. On 2.4GHz use channel 1, 6, or 11. Use 20MHz, not 40MHz channels on 2.4Ghz.

At least temporarily wire the PLAY:3 to the gateway, then check to make sure that the PLAY:3’s WiFi SSID and Password is correct.