Answered

Play 1 and Play 3 will not reset.

• 14 August 2023
  • 14 replies

The spouse uninstalled and installed the Sonos and during that process the upgrade to S2 happened and I did not want that to happen.  GRRRRR   As my play 5 is not compatiable.  

So, I’ve moved on from that situation/frustration and have decided to continue to use S2 instead of S1 after resetting most of my speaker/sub/boost (which is a lot) and trying to downgrade back to S1.  This is where the frustration turns to Sonos!  This should not be that difficult.  On the to problem:

In my effort to rebuild my Sonos environments/rooms in S2 there are two speakers that were working just the day before the spouse unknowingly updated everything to S2 that will not connect to my S2.  The reason they are not connecting is because they will not reset…. I follow the steps as I did with the numerous other speakers; however, these two will not turn to flashing green - I still tried to add them anyway and S2 does pick them up and goes through the step to add them only to have a hard stop at the speaker sending the Chime/Pin to S2 - there is no sound.  Speaker is either blnking just white or just orange (depending if I just tried to reset - orange,  or had unpluged and plugged back in -white).

What else can I do to get these two speakers to reset and therefore be able to reconnect or send chime.

icon

Best answer by lgoodman 21 August 2023, 21:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

If you can, wire the problem speakers to the network while you downgrade.

Note that ONE SL cannot be downgraded to S1.

I’m not even trying to downgrade any longer as that was very painful after the first one, so I’m staying with S2 and will have to keep the Play:5 speak on S1 separately.   

I’m just trying to add to my S2 family of speakers.  I haven’t had any problems with the others, Playbar, Beam, Subs, Surrounds (Play:1s)...but these two speakers will not play the chime/pin so it can be added/connected.

Hi

If your Play:5 gen 1 has not been reset you could still go back to S1.  If you factory reset it then that would explain your difficulties. 

But moving on….What are the speakes that won’t reset and how are you resetting them?

OK sorry - you said P1 and P3

Sorry the Play:5 is not part of my issue at this time.   It’s the Play:1 and Play:3 that are not resetting.  The process I’m following is:  Unplug the speaker for at least 10 seconds, press and hold the Play/Pause button and the “+” at the same time while plugging speaker back into power.   Speaker flashes white, then flashes orange then is supposed to flash green.  This has worked on 13 of my 15 speakers.  These two will not reset?

My recollection is that you just hold down the Play/Pause

Neither has worked for these two speakers.  

Any other options I should be trying?

Can’t think of anything   You are releasing the Play/Pause button when the light goes orange?

I know you have successfully reset other speakers but I have to ask as you don’t mention it.

Yes.  Please ask away.

The only other thing I can think of is to leave it for a few hours then try again.  Maybe somebody else will have a bright idea……

I’m hoping someone from @Sonos will reply here. ;-)  as I’m sure I’m not the only one that has had this problem.

You’ll need to Factory Reset the PLAY:1 and PLAY:3, then add them to the system. Take care at this point, avoid starting a new system. If this does not work, is it possible that they are still S1?

Have you Factory Reset the PLAY:5? If not, don’t Factory Reset yet because we may be able to salvage the original setup.

The Play 1 and Play 3 wouldn’t factory reset that was the problem.  I ended up connecting them (one at a time) directly to the router via ethernet and was able to factory reset - not sure why just those two needed to be wired to be reset.  Anyway, those two are taken care of and on the S2 controller. 

Ok so that left my Play 5 that is not compatable with S2, unfortunately I had already reset that speaker.  I was able to open up the S1 and add the Play 5 back (selecting “Set up a new Sonos system) and having it wired to the router.  However, the S1 add has since gone back to wanted me to open/use S2 for some reason and I can’t continue with S1?   

Not sure how the S1 and S2 are separated.  Am I supposed to setup an new account to ensure this doens’t happen?

Thanks!

Power down the S2 units, then reset or uninstall the S1 controller.