Physical preset buttons on play units

• 13 November 2013
  • 9 replies

Hi, i would like you to incorporate say 3 physical buttons on all Play units alowing users to activate presets without having to do it from tablet or phone. Say button 1 on play 5 in kicthen is preset to some radio chanel, button 2 is preset to a Spotify playlist etc.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Would love to have this, the Bose 6 presets and IR remote are making me a little jealous! Maybe a software update to scan thru them by holding MUTE and Volume Up/Down or something.
Userlevel 1
Sonos is so great and so useful because it is so simple. How tough is it to have a couple of cheapie 7" tablets around? $77? Or something like that?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I agree it is just simple! That is why I went from trying a couple of Play 1s over Thanksgiving to 4 Play 1s and 2 Play 5s five days later!!! Probably adding more when I get back to my house for Christmas!

I actually will be picking up some tablets over the holidays. Just saw a 7in for 40$. But tablets need charging so they aren't as flexible as having something preset or a simple ir remote. My house is wide, so I currently have to jump using three Bridges just to extend and I haven't gone upstairs yet. So I need control in at least 6 places right now.

Plus the easier I can make it for my non techno wife the better, LOL!

Just trying to give some ideas so that Bose never gets a foothold!

I want Sonos to stay #1!!!!
@Patrick, i agree that Sonos is already very simple, but that does not mean it can not be even more simple. Starting up your tablet and entering the sonos app takes a little time and so does browsing around in the app. Furthermore as Mike mentions, this way around requires you to have a tablet/Phone etc. in every zone. As i primarily listen to radio and specific spotify playlists it would IMO be very usefull to have this feature. Sonos already added the "Last played" feature by pressing and holding "Mute" so i guess it would be simple to make say 3 presets in some kind of way. Lets see what they come up with.

Ehlz
Userlevel 2
I'd LOVE to see standby and a couple of preset buttons on the Play units...or a really simple credit card remote. Call me a Luddite but there are times when all I want to do is press two buttons, one to power up and another to select one of my usual sources. There are also times I don't want to carry my tablet around with me. I've never been a Bose fan but I think they got that feature right on their SoundTouch system, it really kicks up the usability of the units.
Unfortunately my Sonos has started to lose its WAF (wife acceptance factor) in my house due to the lack of this feature - she has now requested a radio because it's too time consuming for her to find her phone and browse to the radio station she wants. I am holding out on the purchase of another radio but i am not sure how long I can last - one other option would be to have a dedicated sonos radio app that a implied the radio selection
Userlevel 1
Unfortunately my Sonos has started to lose its WAF (wife acceptance factor) in my house due to the lack of this feature - she has now requested a radio because it's too time consuming for her to find her phone and browse to the radio station she wants. I am holding out on the purchase of another radio but i am not sure how long I can last - one other option would be to have a dedicated sonos radio app that a implied the radio selection
Hey Simon,  I know exactly how you feel.  Having a dedicated remote is better than using your IOS or Android menu just to hear a tune.  My solution has been to purchase a discontinued remote from someone on the internet.  They are now a disposable item as Sonos does not repair or replace them anymore. (IMO a marketing mistake). Any Sonos remote from eBay, craigslist, amazon will almost certainly be used.  The price should be under $100.   I picked up six two years ago and now I have five.  But even being a geek for electronics I find the dedicated remote very useful for me and almost a requirement for guests. Except when the kids visit as they only want to use their phone.  Good Luck, Pat
I am still having this issue, and I would find the addition of a remote or some sort of a dedicated app to be extremely valuable.
Badge +20
There is a third party remote or even a few that work with Sonos, "The LHC" posted a link to at least one on this forum.