Question

Pairing sonos 5

• 30 September 2017
  • 10 replies

I have sonos 5 (generation 1), I am planning to buy another sonos 5 but this time generation 2.
1. Can gen1 and gen2 both player 5 be paired to create stereo?

2. Cam other sonos model like base be paired with sonos player 5 (generation 1)

My objective is to create pair with flexibility.
Thanks
Paras

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
1. No. This is not possible. Only a pair of the same speaker can be paired as stereo. Gen 2 is too different from Gen 1.

2. No. The only the Play 5 Gen 2 may be used as surrounds with a Playable or Playbar. And you need 2 as well.

You can group different speakers
Thanks buddy for your time and quick response. Very much appreciate!

This is sad, as all new features are being put into play 5 gen2, and I am stuck with gen1. So isn't it a bad strategy in a way by sonos (from customer view point), I hardly purchased play5 year ago, and for creating/expanding sonos system with new features , my sysyem no longer looks promising!

Have to review my plan to expand/invest further on sonos
Thanks again
Paras
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There was a lot of discussion on this board that Sonos should have called the Gen 2 Play 5 say Play 7 to avoid this sort of "confusion". The reality is that it replaces the Gen 1 in the line up and the reason it can't be paired in stereo is positive in the sense that the Gen 2 is a significant improvement in terms of sound quality and can be used as surrounds with the Playbar/Playbase.

My advice would be to sell the Gen 1 (unless you have another room to use a single speaker) - they keep their value well and then get another Gen 2. By the way the Gen 2 was released 2 years ago.
I purchased my gen 1 2 years ago(perhaps, I missed to Type 2 in my original post ?) , just few months before introduction of gen2. I am in India, do not have sonos store here. I bought it through a friend who was visiting USA. Neither sonos is , so popular in India, that I can sell it easy. (this option occurred to me, but then have to give up).

So here I am!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You could always get your friend to buy a second hand Play 5 Gen 1!
Buy a 1 pair instead, for about the same price as a new 5.

You will be better off by then having music in two zones than by having a 5 pair of some kind via buying/selling; a close to impossible task in India. And a 1 pair in many respects sounds better than the new 5 playing by itself.
This sounds a good suggestion kumar, thanks.
Would appreciate following clarification
1. As you have mentioned, does pair of 1 would really sound better than play 5, with sterio and surround effect?

2. Would play 1 be compatible with all new features being tasted like voice control and future integration with other AI? (LIKE will it have required hardware like microphone?)

Thanks

Paras
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
1) The general consensus is that a Pair of Play 5(Get 2) as surrounds are significant overkill and the Play 1s make for an excellent choice for music listening - Have Play 1s with my Playbar and a sub which makes a big difference.

2) Well nobody can tell you the future but the current Play 1s will be compatible with Alexa integration (you will need and Echo device). There have been some rumours about a new Play 1 with integrated voice control (Alexa?) but they are rumours at present (Sonos have an announcement next week so worth keeping an eye on this forum).
Sure, thanks for your kind help

1. As you have mentioned, does pair of 1 would really sound better than play 5, with sterio and surround effect?

To my ears, yes. Just stereo, no surround effects.