Skip to main content

One vs play 1

• 2 December 2017
  • 3 replies

I had a play 1 and thought I would buy a new sonos one for a different room. Everything I read suggested that the sound was very similar but now I have the one I am a little disappointed.

The balance just not seem to be as good as the play 1 so I tried them in the same room to check it wasn’t a room thing but still the same.

In some ways they are very similar; however, the one’s slightly more bassy (actually bass is probably slightly better than the play 1) and this shift in balance seems to take away from the sound I really liked in the play 1. The one is maybe more scooped in the mids?

Any one else noticed something similar?
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Do the differences remain after running Trueplay on both kept in the same place?
Yes, not as pronounced but still there. I am no expert but it is the clarity/punchiness (my wife said richness) that is lacking particularly in the vocal freq range with the one. The lower freq just seem to muddy it rather than the play 1 where it sits nicely on top.

Could it get better as it is broken in?
All that will happen in time is you will get used to the sound and have fewer objections to it. Which is the "better" that any breaking in process achieves for modern kit. But before that, what happens just now if you back off the bass just a little in the EQ? If that helps, it is the way to go.

I haven't heard the One, but no one here has commented on the lines you have. Maybe someone still will.