My sonos play 5 doesnt finish playing full songs

• 21 April 2013
  • 60 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

Same as above. How about some simple instructions for a fix or perhaps an update!
Your confirmation number is: 3210553
Same problem. Just bought system yesterday and updated software. I'm in an apartment complex and suspect it could be channel interference causing Sonos to register a "skip forward" command. Would be nice to see a response given the number of people seeing this problem.
Having the same problem, playing them from the sonos app on my iPhone 5 they sometimes finish the whole song, otherwise it skips to the next at around 30 seconds to a minute. Diagnostic confirmation number is: 3226330
Would like to hear a response at least, not to mention a fix. This is poor from sonos.
Would like to hear a response at least, not to mention a fix. This is poor from sonos.
My system worked fine for over a year. I updated to Mavericks and it started exhibiting these kinds of problems. Logs say can't play songs due improperly encoded files - these used to work just fine - and network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer. The netwrok connection should not be the issue since I'm not streaming off the internet but accessing my hard drive on a conmputer with the same exact ocnfig that worked for over a year with now problems. Diag # 3228967 The only thing that changed was my OS upgrade and I suppose iTunes along with it, but Sonos claims to not have compatibility issues with Mavericks. This is clearly a problem you guys need to get to the bottom of. Fine, maybe Apple broke you with their upgrade, it won't be the first time Apple (Microsoft or Google for that matter) has broken third party apps in the interest of their porgress. But it is entirely falacious and disingenuine to claim there is not problem.
If Sonos was a public listed company, I suspect that the shares would have fallen dramatically. There's clearly a significant problem, and I'm regretting the purchase of the Sonos system. It's not the wifi connection and submitting diagnostics reports gets one no-where. Sonos - where are you? We can't hear you.
I was experiencing the same problem. This issue rectified itself with a Sonos software upgrade three weeks ago. NOTE: I have not upgraded to Mavericks -- I run OS 10. Make sure you have the latest software update.
I see these comments are from 3 years ago, but currently I have the same problem, actually I already had this problem and figured I might solve it with buying a Boost but that didn't change anything. And now for the last few days every song is cut of early, diagnositic # 7174447, I hope you can help me out because this is extremely frustrating
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I see these comments are from 3 years ago, but currently I have the same problem, actually I already had this problem and figured I might solve it with buying a Boost but that didn't change anything. And now for the last few days every song is cut of early, diagnositic # 7174447, I hope you can help me out because this is extremely frustrating

Hi Gijsb,

In your diagnostic report both your PLAY:5 and BOOST are reporting that their wireless antennas are jammed by interference. This would certainly cause the issues you're seeing. What's strange though is that both the BOOST and PLAY:5 are wired in with ethernet. This should normally cause the units to not use their antennas to communicate. What is your BOOST wired into and what is your PLAY:5 wired into?

Please make sure your BOOST is not too close to any third party wireless device, such as your router or a cordless phone base. Then, try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. This may allow you to remove the ethernet cable form the PLAY:5.
Thank you for your quick reply, I changed the set-up, just did it so don't have a lot of feedback, the two songs after set-up completely finished though. i just send in diagnostic report 7174814. Can you see if this is better?
#7176554 , there is still a problem.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
#7176554 , there is still a problem.....

There's still a lot of wireless interference showing up. Please look around your Sonos units for any third party wireless devices which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless cameras, wireless printers and wireless baby monitors. Try moving any such device away from your Sonos units and see if things improve.
I am having this issue when playing from iPhone playlist - Pandora is fine no interruption at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having this issue when playing from iPhone playlist - Pandora is fine no interruption at all.

Hi claudmonster,

Can you submit a diagnostic report after you get an interruption? When streaming from your iPhone, the phone's connection to your wireless network is a factor and may be the weak link as Pandora seems to stream fine. How far from your router is your phone while streaming? Is your phone connected to a 5 ghz signal or 2.4 ghz?
Badge
Hi, We have been having this issue after the last update; 2 months and counting. Playing a song from Apple Music will play for 2/3rds of the song and then skip to the next song. Diagnostic has been sent in; #757603768.

Edit: We are playing music from the windows desktop app. We have two Play 1 running. We checked out wireless router settings and the channels have been set to automatic; constantly changing to suite.
Userlevel 7
Hi chp

Sometimes after an update to the Sonos App a couple of things can occur:

Your Windows firewall and/or your 3rd party firewall may determine the Sonos App to be new and therefore requires you to grant the Sonos app permission in the firewall "allowed" settings.

or

Deleting and reinstalling the music service from the Sons App may help (Apple Music)

or

Updating windows may be help

or

Sometimes doing all three :8

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, We have been having this issue after the last update; 2 months and counting. Playing a song from Apple Music will play for 2/3rds of the song and then skip to the next song. Diagnostic has been sent in; #757603768.

Edit: We are playing music from the windows desktop app. We have two Play 1 running. We checked out wireless router settings and the channels have been set to automatic; constantly changing to suite.

Hi chp,

Thanks for sending in the report. Unfortunately it came through with some formatting errors, making it a bit hard to read.

We recommend setting your home router to a specific channel rather than having it automatically switch channels as this makes it easier for your Sonos speakers to stay connected if wireless, and helps reduce interference if your speakers are set up in a mesh network.

Please send along a new diagnostic report and reply with the number, I'll take a look for you.
Badge
Thanks for the quick replies. We just updated our office sonos controllers to 8.5. I deleted my apple music account and re-added the account. With that said, we are trying it out again. We will keep you posted if the music starts skipping again.

As requested, New diagnostic report #808594255.
Badge
Thanks for the quick replies. We just updated our office sonos controllers to 8.5. I deleted my apple music account and re-added the account. With that said, we are trying it out again. We will keep you posted if the music starts skipping again.

Quick update, I think our office Sonos fully functional again! Thank you for the help! Will keep you posted if things change.
Userlevel 7

Quick update, I think our office Sonos fully functional again! Thank you for the help! Will keep you posted if things change.

That’s great 😉 Enjoy your Sonos!
Cheers!
Badge
Spoke too soon, still having problems with the songs skipping. Our Sonos system is updated to the current software release.

New Diagnostic #363849783.
Userlevel 7
Spoke too soon, still having problems with the songs skipping. Our Sonos system is updated to the current software release.

Hi chp

Sorry to hear that you are once again having the same issues. Something that caught my eye from your post going back 24 hrs wherein you said..."We just updated our office sonos controllers" presents other possible causes for your problem.

Please read through the links below to see if any apply to your environment. In the end (if possible) a Boost setup may be the best way to go.

Corporate Enterprise Networks
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2638

Reduce Wireless Interference
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3650

I hope that Sonos via your diagnostic; or may maybe what's in the links, resolves your issues.. Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi chp,

Thanks for sending in the new report. I'm able to see that there are a couple wireless access points on your network. They are running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for the Sonos units to stay connected and streaming. Can you set all of your wireless access points to the same wireless channel and see if that helps?