Line in problem - sound cutting out intermittently

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff - i have changed channel and restarted. I'm sure I'll be able to connect the wayward speaker eventually, but my main issue is the audio is dropping out from the input into the Play 5 while playing the audio on that play 5 - I'm not trying to play the line-in audio on another speaker - it's the hard-wired connection into the play 5 that is getting interrupted on that play 5. Should I reset my whole system? I was thinking it could be tied to the update to the sonos software I was pushed a week back - I installed it just prior to this happening.

Hi Gelb,

Resetting your system doesn't fix anything, it just makes you have to set everything back up. Have you tried using a different audio source, such as your smartphone? Do the audio interruptions happen on all devices connected with all audio cables?
Hi Gelb
I have the same problem. only using line in to the play5 on my pc and after a couple of min it stops until I tell it to play again and again...

Any solution!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Gelb
I have the same problem. only using line in to the play5 on my pc and after a couple of min it stops until I tell it to play again and again...

Any solution!!!

Hi founride,

Please send in a diagnostic report from your system. Then, reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
I have the same problem. It helped a lot when I changed line in level to 10. Settings > room settings > pick your connect amp > line in > pick 10. Hope this helps cause it is super annoying to watch a movie like this.

HOORAY! THIS WORKED FOR ME!!! Thank you for posting the instructions: Settings > room settings > pick your connect amp > line in > pick 10. After trying various other things, this was an IMMEDIATE FIX that worked for me for Line-In Cutting Out Intermittently. God Bless You!
Yep, that also worked for me! No cut outs and been listening for a while now.
Switched to SonosNet Channel #11 - In Settings, Room Settings, select the speaker for your Line-In
And
Line-In Source Level #10 - In Settings, Advanced and in General tab.

Thanks all for the help and so happy now!
I have my line in from my TV going to a Play 5. Then streaming the Play 5 line in audio to 2 Play 3's.
The Play 3's cut out very quickly and come back in but it happens often and is very annoying.

I've tried switching wireless channels.
I've tried resetting the router.
I've tried unplugging the Sonos and plugging it back in.
My Sonos has the latest updates.

The 2 Play 3's are about 10 feet from the Play 5 and my wireless only have a few connections to it.

I've submitted a diagnostic: 6892615
I have my line in from my TV going to a Play 5. Then streaming the Play 5 line in audio to 2 Play 3's.
The Play 3's cut out very quickly and come back in but it happens often and is very annoying.

The 2 Play 3's are about 10 feet from the Play 5 and my wireless only have a few connections to it.

I just tried the line level 10 fix and it seems to have worked so far! This would be so great if it's a permanent fix. Thanks everyone!

I just tried the line level 10 fix and it seems to have worked so far! This would be so great if it's a permanent fix. Thanks everyone!

JK! Didn't work. Still cuts in and out really quick.
It's driving me nuts.
I have the same issue

1 play 5 2 gen. Connected to the tv via Line-in.

Have 2 play 1's paired in stereo, and the right Channel speaker drops out randomly. VERY anoying.

My dignostic nr is 6995841
same line in issues for me here: 7069403
Has anyone had any luck? I was hoping it would be resolved in the last update but it wasn't.
I'm also struggling with the line-in, tried almost everything and now I submitted a diagnose: 7102043..
The info I got from Sonos support is that after V7 and Spotify connect, the system uses more CPU-power. Because of this it cant stream line in properly in some installs. It used to work flawless for me, but at some point it just started to drop out. If this is true, no firmware-update will fix this. Old firmware worked better regarding this issue, but you can't use old firmware if you want to add new units, so staying with old firmware is impossible.
I had the same problem and fixed it by turning off the wireless on my smart tv. I wasn't using it anyway and the tv happened to be inbeteeen my connect and the router. If you need your tv's wireless turned on then maybe position your connect closer to the router than to the tv?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
@jdewilde, are you still having trouble with your Line-In?

I had a chance to review the diagnostic data you sent along, and it looks like there was a bit of wireless interference between the CONNECT and your stereo paired PLAY:1s. It doesn’t look like the interference is coming from neighboring wireless networks, so taking a look at potential causes in your house is the way to go.

Roughly how far away is the CONNECT from the 2 PLAY:1s? Are there any walls or other objects separating their respective locations? It would also be good to know what other electronic devices are within a few feet of each Sonos component. It’s not uncommon for wireless phones, baby monitors, and other electronics with wireless antennas to cause communication problems.

A good resource for reducing interference can be found in this Sonos help article.

Let us know how things turn out. We’ll be happy to help get your system working the way it should.

________

@Guldkullen 5 There isn’t a broad issue with the 7.0 or higher software that is known to cause audio cutouts, but it looks like you might have run into a specific issue with the older version of the CONNECT and some trouble with uncompressed line-in audio. We’re always looking to investigate potential issues. I’ve taken the liberty of passing the ticket you have with us up to another technician to take a close look at the situation. They may be reaching out there over email.
I am also having trouble with line in on a CONNECT. The device is brand new (48 hours out of box). Updated with the latest software on setup. Today was the first day that I had time to really use the device. A friend and I tried to play a video game on his PS4, but intermittently the line in port on the CONNECT would cut out and play no sound for anywhere from a half minute to a couple minutes at a time. Sometimes it would recover on its own, and sometimes I would fiddle with the Sonos app to try to get it to play again before it had a chance to recover on its own.

The setup is as follows:
IN: TV (older) headphone port wired into CONNECT Line In with SONOS provided 3.5mm to RCA cable.

OUT: CONNECT Line Out connected to a receiver driving two wired speakers and a sub with a standard RCA cable (red-white male connections on both ends)

NETWORK: Wired connection to router going into the CONNECT (router is upstairs, CONNECT is downstairs) AND a wired connection from the CONNECT to a PS4

SETTINGS: Line In Level = 10, Autoplay enabled, Line Out Level = Variable

I know that the device has Internet connection because it is passing the Internet connection on to the PS4, and a network test on the PS four proves that there is good connection. I do own more Sonos devices but for the sake of this issue we can ignore them because I am not trying to stream the line in two other Sonos devices. Streaming music on the CONNECT seems to work OK, but passing the input from the line in to line out randomly cuts out. I cannot fathom a condition where network would have an impact on connecting the line in to the physical line out on the device, and for the purposes of this issue we can view the CONNECT as being a fancy passthrough device inserted into the middle of a cable directly from the TV headphone port to the receiver. If I remove the CONNECT and use RCA splices to create a continuous cable, the sound passes from the TV to the receiver without interruption (and this direct wiring setup has been working for months with no issue). So I would like to know why the CONNECT is deciding at random to "break" the connection? It troubles me that a brand new device, (not an inexpensive one I might add) whose sole function in life is to take audio from a source (either physical line in or stream) and output the same sound on physical line out, is malfunctioning between the physical connections.
I can send diagnostics tomorrow if required.
Also, can someone explain to me exactly what the Line In Source Level Setting does? What is the meaning of the level distinctions?
Thanks!
Userlevel 2
I have the same problem. In my case, all of my Sonos are wired.

I connect my phone to the Line-In jack on Sonos:5. Start playing music on the phone.
The Sonos:5 sounds fine.
The Sonos:3 will play 2 seconds of music, then skip one second, then play two seconds, then skip one, ...

It'll drive you crazy 😠
@dakotalazenby - Welcome to the Community! Sorry you're having trouble with the CONNECT. It sounds like submitting a diagnostic report would be great, especially while we are passing PS4 audio through the TV.

I'd also check the audio from the headphone jack on the back of the TV while passing PS4 audio through the TV as well. We want to check the full signal flow at every possible break point.

Thanks in advance.
I have the same problem. In my case, all of my Sonos are wired.

I connect my phone to the Line-In jack on Sonos:5. Start playing music on the phone.
The Sonos:5 sounds fine.
The Sonos:3 will play 2 seconds of music, then skip one second, then play two seconds, then skip one, ...

It'll drive you crazy :@

I can imagine, that would drive me crazy. Sounds like there might be some wireless interference cause some headache. Submit a diagnostic report, reply with the confirmation code it gives at the end and we can take a look. Here's how.
@Keith N thanks for the prompt reply! I will send a diagnostic report as soon as I have a chance to sit down and play PS4 again. My simple tests when I inboxed the device didn't yield the cutting out problems. Only after some extended use (more than 15 minutes continuous) did it start to cut out every 10 to 15 minutes for the duration of (on average) one minute.

Until then, I am not sure what I can test. As I stated in my (albeit lengthy) post above, when I take the line from the TV headphone jack and splice it directly to the line into the receiver, the sound quality and signal is fine (same as it has been for months of lengthy use when it was one continuous cable. The ONLY difference in the setup now as opposed to before is that (effectively) I cut the cable in two and inserted the CONNECT into the middle of the cable from TV to receiver. See photo attached. This being the case, I have no reason to believe that audio from PS4 to TV or TV to the Line In port is at fault, since I can jumper out the CONNECT and get the (primary) desired result.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
dakotalazenby,

Thank you for the topology diagram. We'll definitely want to take a look at the diagnostic first but would like to clarify something on the cable. You said it used to be one continuous cable that was 'cut', did you physically cut it and splice new connections to the ends?
No, haha! Using the word "cut" was simply to elaborate the point that the only change to the previous setup was injecting a CONNECT device into the middle of what used to be a continuous connection. I am now using the cables provided with the CONNECT (3.5mm to RCA and RCA to RCA) to make the connection path.

Being Mother's Day weekend, I am going out of town and will not be able to test the device immediately but I will plan to give the device another endurance test Monday and post diagnostics then. Thanks you for continuing to look into this issue.
The audio has been dropping out from my system and is getting worse. I have 4 x play 5s and a Sub played via a Boost set up which is hard wired into an Apple Express (wired extension of my router). I am running 70-80 mbps now and was running on 6 Mbps but the dropping out is worse since the broadband speed has improved! I thought that would fix the issue as I thought it was due to buffering. It has been dropping out on Sky too. I use my set up to watch TV with the TV headphone socket wired a Sonos speaker (Line in). The sound dropping does not seem to be an issue with listening to music from the phone or streaming but just via the TV. I have had issues of latent sound ie not in time with the video/lips moving.

I have sent a diagnostic - 7419496. I hope this helps.

The Sonos boost, Apple Express, Apple TV are by the TV and 2x front Play 5s. From reading some posts I fear it may be interference. I don't know how to change the fibre settings but I am Level 2 AV on line in source and channel 11 Sonos net channel (should this be channel 6?). I appreciate any help or suggestions to rectify this matter and improve the sound.

Best regards
K
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
hey kdr2566, welcome to the community. What you're doing there is something the speakers were not really designed to do. You've got a first-gen PLAY:5 trying to broadcast a completely uncompressed analog audio stream to four other players over wireless. This is pushing the limits of what that player can do, and what 2.4GHz technology is capable of. This is why our home theater setups all use 5GHz to communicate. We can try to clear up some of the interference you have there, but to be honest it's not far off perfect already and any improvement will be incremental. You could enable some audio compression in the advanced settings of the app, but this will add more lip sync delay. If your TV has any settings which might allow you to compensate for this, then that will be the easiest fix. Otherwise, you might have to connect them all up with Ethernet cable which will be a basically perfect connection.
Thanks Tom. I changed the to channel 6 from 11 which seemed to help or is that not connected to this issue?
I appreciate this is not an ideal set up but I guess it is good to hear that the wifi interference is minimal. I could connect the two front speakers by Ethernet to the switch box but not the sub and rears because they are too far away.
I was chatting to Emily in the sales chat re the sound bar, which I thought may complete the system, but my Sony TV is 6 years old with no optical output. Can I connect the sound bar any other way? Thanks again