Skip to main content

latency with Roam and Apple TV

• 7 March 2022
  • 5 replies

I just bought a new Sony TV Bravia, in which I plug an Apple TV. I have a Sonos Roam in another room (kitchen). When I am looking at a movie there is a latency (delay) in the sound between TV and Roam that makes it impossible to use.

The Apple TV is connected to the network via Ethernet, but the Roam of course with the WiFi of the same network. Is that the issue?

In fact with the previous Tv the sound was going to a Linn amp, and not trough the Apple TV. How to solve the problem? A Sonos app in the TV?

SuonO app, but every comments are negative about it?

I tried to connect directly the Sony TV to the Roam but  it didn’t work.

Thank you for your help.

5 replies

Is your Roam connected to the Apple TV (via airplay) or to the TV (via bluetooth)?  I assume you’re using airplay for now.  Did the Roam play audio in sync with your previous TV?  I assume that’s the case for now.

Given those assumptions, I would assume your new TV is processing the video faster than your previous TV.  Is there a setting in Apple TV to delay the video slightly?  Or maybe in the TV itself? 

The previous TV was connected with a cable to an Amp (Linn) and was not using the HP from the TV. That is the main difference. For the rest, the AP was connected to the tv with HDMI as it is now. The Roam was connected to the wifi and probably with AirPlay to the AP.

Now I decided to use the HP of the TV without using my HiFi system (Linn Amp). but the Roam is not working.

The sound of the TV comes directly from the Sony system, but the Roam one comes from the Apple TV, in WiFi and this is probably the reason of the latency.

@Colberti 
If you have an iPhone, have you tried the ‘Wireless Audio Sync’ feature in the Apple TV A/V Calibration settings to synchronise your chosen Airplay connected speakers… I have tried this with a Sonos Roam and it all seems to be playing in near-perfect sync here with my TV connected Arc, which is cabled indirectly to my router via two switches.

Thank you ken for the advise. I tried that too, but it doesn’t solved the problem. Maybe there is problem with the wifi.

Thank you ken for the advise. I tried that too, but it doesn’t solved the problem. Maybe there is problem with the wifi.

Are you using the faster 5Ghz WiFi connection?